Honeymoon is all about relaxing in the arms of your partner and battling away the wedding blues in romantic destinations. Maharashtra is a paradise for romantic getaways as it has the scenic Western Ghats, serene Konkan coast and equally astonishing historical places. Escape from the busy urban life and get lost in the beauty of Maharashtra for your honeymoon. The state has the busiest international airport and railhead, connecting every part of the world, making it ideal for both Indian and International travellers.
Are you planning your honeymoon this 2019? Do you love hill stations or beaches? Maharashtra’s got the best of it all in your budget. Check out the famous and offbeat honeymoon places in Maharashtra to unwind with your soulmate.
List of most romantic honeymoon places in Maharashtra
- Malshej Ghat
- Kashid beach
Historical places and vibrant cities
Lonavala is the most popular honeymoon destination in Maharashtra situated in the Mumbai Pune Highway. This lush green hill station is a small and cosy abode in the Western Ghats range. Lonavala lake is the famous lake in this majestic hills, offering boating, kayaking and camping experiences. The major attractions here are Bhushi Dam, Bhaja Caves, Karla Caves, Lohagad Fort, Tunga Fort, Tungarli Lake, Lion’s point, Valvan Lake and Dam and Ryewood Park.
Lonavala also houses the famous Celebrity wax museum and Della Amusement park. This beautiful hill station can satisfy your adventure needs with easy trekking trails to hot air balloon rides over the valleys and mountains.
- Best time to visit: June is when the monsoon drizzles start, making it an enchanting place. Thus, the best time is monsoon season from June to September. But avoid visiting Lonavla during Summers.
- How to reach: Lonavala has a well-connected railway station. Lonavala is present in the Mumbai Pune Highway making direct buses and cab facilities very easy. For airways, Mumbai and Pune airports are present around 70 Kms from Lonavala.
Khandala is another jewel on the Western Ghats, which a romantic getaway with scenic landscapes. It is best experienced through nature walks and sightseeing the panoramic viewpoints. The deep valleys, lakes and historic forts will be the perfect backdrop for your honeymoon. Tryout trekking with your partner in the famous trekking trail to Duke’s Nose(Nagphani Cliff). Mountain climbing is also a famous adventure here. Make your honeymoon memorable with refreshing nature and thrilling adventures at this silent town. Couple your trip to Khandala with Lonavala as its very near and offers a wholesome experience.
- Best time to visit: Summer and Monsoon attracts most of the tourists. Try to visit during weekdays, as it can get very crowded during weekends.
- How to reach: Khandala has its own railway station and is well connected to Mumbai and Pune through roads.
Also See: Top 8 Honeymoon Destinations in Asia
Matheran is an untouched place with clean air, lush green valleys and mountains. This hill station has banned vehicles, thus reaching the heart of it can be a joyous journey in itself. There’s a 21 km long toy train that takes you the Matheran making the perfect romantic combo of trains and beautiful mountains. This place is famous for its numerous viewpoints which offers splendid views like Louisa point, panorama point, little chouk point , echo point, etc..
- Best time to visit: Summer – from March to June.
- How to reach: Neral is the nearby railhead, from there you can ride the romantic toy train or take a cab to reach Matheran. There are only horse rides or rickshaws inside Matheran for transport, making it a new experience.
Mahabaleshwar is one of the best honeymoon places in Maharashtra. This Queen of hills is at an altitude of 1372m and is at the heart of Western Ghats in Maharashtra. This beautiful mountain has more than 30 viewpoints and gives you enthralling views of the valleys, waterfalls and rivers of the region. The famous attractions are Lingmala waterfalls, Dhobi waterfalls, Venna Lake, Krishna Temple, Wilson Point, etc.. If you want to explore the architectural marvels in the hills, plan a visit to Arthur’s point, Morarji Castle and Pratapgad fort.
Also don’t miss Panchgani, a nearby hill station with serene forests which boosts its popularity to impressive lookout points and strawberry festival . Strawberry festival is held during the month of May in the nearby Mapro Gardens, featuring fresh strawberries, jams and syrups. For adventures with your loved one, try paragliding, trekking or camping in the forests.
- Best time to visit: Visiting during the months of October to June will make it a perfect honeymoon.
- How to reach: New Pune Airport is around 100 Kms from Mahabaleshwar, while the nearest well-connected railhead is Pune or Satara.
Also See: 20 Best Places For 2 Days Trip in India
Bhandardara is a beautiful lush hill town present near Igatpuri in the Western Ghats. The major attraction is the largest and oldest dam in the country, Bhandardara Dam, whose overflowing water makes the Umbrella falls. Umbrella falls with cascading fresh water is surreal to witness during monsoon. Kalsubai temple at the top of mount Kalsubai is a sight to behold in Bhandardara. There are many forts in and around the town, with scenic views and brilliant architecture, they are glorious during sunrise or sunset. Plan trekking in the hills or boating in the lakes with your love for a romantic honeymoon.
- Best time to visit: Visit this place after monsoon or mid-monsoon, as the trees breathe fresh life after the rains.
- How to reach: Nashik is the nearest airport and Igatpuri is the nearest railhead.
The wettest place in Maharashtra is the last town before the Western Ghats decline to plateau. This place is serene and calm with rich flora and fauna adorning the beauty. Monsoons make the place surreal with many impromptu waterfalls emerging from the top of the mountain.
Couples can enjoy trekking and bird watching The must-see places in the region are Mahadevgad valley, Shirgaonkar point, Parikshit point and Amboli sunset point. Durg Dhakoba Trek is a famous trekking trail in the region through thick forests and energizing clean air. This rainy paradise is your choice of honeymoon places in Maharashtra if you love rains.
- Best time to visit: June to August is the best time to visit the hills.
- How to reach: Sawantwadi is the nearest railway station which is just 30 km away. Take a cab or bus to reach the hills. For air transport, Goa houses the nearest airport.
Nestled between the lofty Western Ghats, Malshej Ghat is a mountain pass with lush green scenery. This hill station is in Pune and attracts adventure lovers as its terrain is suitable for trekking and hiking, making it one of the most beautiful places in Maharashtra for honeymoon. The place is romantic with calm climate and beautiful sights everywhere.
Honeymooner’s usually plan a day’s trip to Malshej Ghat from Pune to enjoy colourful scenery, historic forts and variety of birds and animals. The must see places are bird sanctuary which attracts Flamingos, Shivneri Fort, Malshej falls, Ajoba Hill fort, Pimpalgaon Joga Dam, and Buddhist caves and Hindu temples. While at Malshej Ghat, trek to Harishchandragad fort and experience the 6th-century architecture and panoramic view of the Western Ghats.
- Best time to visit: Visit during the monsoon season for a pleasant climate.
- How to reach: Pune is the nearest city and is well accessible from Mumbai.
Chikhaldara is the best place for a peaceful honeymoon that rejuvenates your soul and body. It is known for its coffee plantations, rich biodiversity and intoxicating natural beauty. This awe inspiring hill station of Western Ghats has Chikhaldara Wildlife Sanctuary, Wan Sanctuary, Melghat Tiger Reserve and Gugamal National Park.
These bio reserves provide exciting rides into the forest to witness the panthers, sambar, wild boars, wild dogs and sloth bears as highlights. The must-see places are Bhimkund, Gawilgarh fort, Bir lake, Narnala Fort, Pandit Nehru Botanical Gardens and Tribal Museum. Experience the tranquillity of nature at this beautiful hill station with your partner.
Best time to visit: The summers are cool at this hill station, making it a summer time escape.
How to reach: Akola has the nearest airport and railhead. From Akola its an 80 Km ride, which is well connected through buses and taxis. Chikhaldara has an excellent roadways connecting to major cities of Maharashtra.
Tarkarli is one of the well-known honeymoon destinations in India guaranteeing lone time with your loved one. This beautiful beach town in the Konkan coast is known white sand beaches and turquoise blue sea water. When in Tarkarli for your romantic getaway, watch the sunrise and sunset with your partner as its enthralling to see the reflections in the clean sea water.
Relax on the hammocks near the beach and live the beach life right with the tasty konkan cuisine. For adventurous underwater sports, visit Sindhudurg Fort. Scuba diving is the most famous water sport at the famed Sindhudurg Fort region of Tarkarli. You can also try Parasailing, Kayaking, Snorkeling, Bumpy Ride, Water Scooter, Jet Ski, and Banana ride for affordable prices. Tarkarli is the destination for watersports in Maharashtra. There’s a twist to this beach town as it also boosts a backwater region amidst the beaches and one of a kind marine sanctuary in the nearby town of Malvan.
- Best time to visit: Winter months October to March are the best months to visit.
- How to reach: Malvan is the nearest town, which is well connected through rail and road.
Alibaug is one of the romantic and offbeat places in maharashtra for honeymoon with beautiful white sand beaches and rustic forts. Though close to the city, this beach paradise is sure to surprise you with its serene environment. If you both are beach bums, spend cosy time in the scenic beaches like Alibaug beach, Mandawa beach, Akshi beach, Varsoli beach etc.. and also get a little adventurous with jetty rides and island hopping experiences. This coast packs a rich historical heritage with Janjira Fort, Khanderi Fort, Kolaba Fort, Revdanda Fort and Undheri Fort. Also visit the Kanakeshwar forest for a scenic getaway.
- Best time to visit: Winters and Summers are best seasons to enjoy the serene beaches. Monsoons have erratic rain making not the ideal time to enjoy your honeymoon.
- How to reach: Alibaug is a three-hour ride from Mumbai, thus railheads and airports of Mumbai are convenient. Check for ferry rides for a new experience and to reach in less than 45 minutes.
Kashid is the beautiful white sand beach on the Konkan coast. This one of a kind honeymoon destination is sure to steal your heart, as the town rings with the sound of the waves, surrounded by high green mountains, Blue seas and lush agricultural fields. This beach town has many forts like Murud Janjira Fort, Korlai Fort, Revdanda Beach Fort which are historically rich experiences with scenic views of the Konkan coast. Watching the beach from hill tops make for magnificent views of the coast. Phansad Wildlife Sanctuary is a hidden gem in this region offering the untouched tranquillity of nature.
Kashid beach boosts a lot of fun and adventurous activities in the beach, like parasailing, scuba diving, Snorkelling, Banana boat rides, etc..Camping and stargazing with your partner at this scenic beach is something you will have to try for sure. So choose Kashid, and laze around the beach let the wedding blues evaporate in the Sun.
Best time to visit: October to February, winter season is the best time to experience the beaches.
How to reach: Kashid is 4 hours drive from Mumbai or Pune. The roads are scenic as its on the coastal line, making the ride romantic. There are buses and taxi services connecting Kashid daily.
Aurangabad is the heritage city of Maharashtra with UNESCO world heritage sites. This beautiful city delights with its greenery and historic monuments. This is a exotic but cheaper destination in Maharashtra for honeymoon. First plan and visit the intricate sculptures in Ajanta and Ellora Caves. Then, check out the many temples, mosques and gardens around the city.
You can indulge in a romantic getaway to the Jayakwadi Bird Sanctuary and Anerdam Wildlife Sanctuary, enjoying the scenery and wildlife. There are theme parks and markets to which give you a modern-day excursion at this heritage site. So visit this beautiful honeymoon place in Maharashtra, which surprises you with its versatility.
- Best time to visit: It is best to visit when the weather is calm, as most of the attractions here are outdoor activities. So plan your honeymoon during October to March.
- How to reach: Aurangabad is very well connected with its own railhead and airport, to major cities. The roads are also well connected, making it easy to reach.
Pune is an artistic city, with a vibrant population. This city is one of the romantic places in Maharashtra for honeymoon, as the climate is calm and inviting. The city has many cultural monuments and gardens like Pataleshwar rock-cut temple, David Synagogue, Raj Dinkar Kelkar Museum, Bund Garden, Saras Bagh, etc..
Pune is also surrounded by small hilly regions, making trekking and romantic car rides to the hills possible. Also visit Khadakwasla dam and Japanese Gardens for peaceful walks with your loved one. Pune is also known for its tasty food so relish the great food at cafes and restaurants all over the city. This city has a vibrant nightlife engaging party lovers too.
- Best time to visit: Winters are the best time with serene weather.
- How to reach: Pune is a major city well connected by road, rail and air.
Nashik the wine capital of India, is one of the fun honeymoon places in Maharashtra. This city is scenic with vineyards and historical monuments. The famous places of interest are Pandavleni Caves, Coin Museum, Chambharlena Caves, Panchavati, Someshwar Mahadev temple, etc.. When in Nashik visit the vineyards and check out the various excursions it offers like wine tasting, grape stomping, and learning about the tradition of wine. Also live out the natural beauty of the city by visiting Gangapur Dam, Brahmagiri Hills, Nandur Madhmeshwar Bird sanctuary and Tringalwadi Lake.
- Best time to visit: October to March is the best season for visiting Nashik as its dry and cool.
- How to reach: Nashik is well accessible through road and train from Mumbai, Pune and other major cities.