‘People who love to eat are always the best people’ goes the iconic quote by Julia Child. The space below is dedicated to every soul searching for a scrumptious Indian meal in the beautiful city of Kuala Lumpur. Kuala Lumpur is known for its blend of Malay, Indian and Chinese traditions. This city houses everything from most luxurious brands to cheap night markets, making it a go-to place for people who want to experience a culturally rich and vibrant city. While turning out to be the most popular attraction in Asia, Kuala Lumpur is an ethereal destination for travellers. Kuala Lumpur celebrates all the different cultures and traditions of Malaysia, and the way they co-exist is sure to leave you in awe.
Food in Kuala Lumpur is extravagant, with so many options and so many cuisines. Kuala Lumpur, dubbed as the food capital of Asia, houses the best of cuisines from all around the world. Indian food has a special place here. The early settlers from India who now call Kuala Lumpur their home have inculcated Indian cuisine as an integral part of the Malaysian food scene. Indian food experience in Kuala Lumpur ranges from Crispy Masala dosa to Laccha Parathas. There’s every aspect of India like Spicy meen curry, Flavourful Hyderabadi biryani, Banana leaf rice meals, Soft wheat phulkas, Hot Punjabi curries and Delicious milk sweets.
Kuala Lumpur takes you back home with its authentic Indian flavours, thanks to the Indian population in the city. We have curated for you an exemplary Indian culinary experience in Kuala Lumpur for those who miss home food during their travel. So don’t miss checking out Indian food in the legendary restaurants, tiffin centres and fine dining spaces in Kuala Lumpur.
Note: Prices are given in MYR- Malaysian Ringgit, 1 MYR = 16.56 INR, approx.
List of Indian Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
- Restoran Sri Nirwana Maju
- Nadodi KL
- Qureshi Malaysia
- Ganga cafe
- Betel Leaf
- Passage thru India
- Flour, Dip & Eat
- Delhi Royale
- MTR 1924 Malaysia
1. Restoran Sri Nirwana Maju
Restoran Sri Nirwana Maju is one of the best Indian restaurants in Little India, Kuala Lumpur serving the famous banana leaf meals. The rice is served with three vegetables, with a choice of non-veg curry or dhal, papadam, rasam and curd. Apart from meals, the south Indian idli dosa varieties are also a hit here. Check out this place when you are roaming little India and want a delicious meal just as you would eat back in India. Sri Nirwana Maju is a small hygienic place with fast service open till midnight. The restaurant is famous, attracting large crowds during lunchtime, so go a little early to escape the queue.
- Highlight: Authentic South Indian
- Must haves: Non-veg fry and Banana leaf meals
- Price for two: MYR 30
- Opening hours: 10:00 AM – 1:30 AM
- Address: 51, Jalan Telawi 3, Kuala Lumpur, Bangsar Baru, Bangsar 59100
2. Nadodi KL
Nadodi KL is appreciated as the best Indian restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, which offers a gastronomic journey through the South Indian peninsula. The place is a modern take on the traditional cuisines of south India. The menu is inspired from the travel across all southern state of India , and parts of Sri Lanka. Thus, the name Nadodi, which translates to Nomad or Wanderer. Nadodi serves food in the western style setting of courses for the meal, their meal is called the 10-mile journey (10 courses) as per the theme, making us explore the regions with their food.
10 delicious small portions of food crafted by the Chefs are served in creative setting and serveware, which are a sight to behold. There’s burst of flavours in the small portion, making it an unforgettable dining experience. This restaurant is on the pricey side and is the first South Indian restaurant providing an enchanting set of courses in Kuala Lumpur.
- Highlight: Full course dinner, with the best of South Indian flavours.
- Must Haves: 10-Mile journey, Cocktails
- Price for two: MYR 800
- Opening hours: 6:30 PM– 9:30 PM
- Address: 183, First Floor, Jalan Mayang,off Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, Kuala Lumpur City Center, Kuala Lumpur 50450
3. Qureshi Malaysia
Qureshi is the venture of famous legendary chef Imtiaz Qureshi and family, who are the finest chefs in Awadhi and North Indian Cuisine. This cuisine serves you exotic dishes prepared during the time of Mughal rule in India. Start with their signature kebabs and eat your heart out with lamb curries, parathas and biryani varieties. Biryanis are saffron flavoured perfectly spiced rice cooked with marinated lamb in small batches, which is sealed with flour to hold the flavour in.
There’s the famous Nihari which is lamb in a rich gravy slowly cooked all over the night, the lamb is so tender that you will ask for more. Don’t miss out their saffron and nuts rich dessert for a perfect ending for your meal. Their method of cooking gives a richness to the food, making you remember the aroma and taste for a long time. Check out Qureshi Malaysia for the grandeur and lip-smacking royal food experience in the land of Kuala Lumpur.
- Highlight: Tandoor and Dum style royal cooking.
- Must haves: Dum Biryani, Hyderabadi Nihari, Saffron Kulfi.
- Price for two: MYR 150
- Opening hours: 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM, 6:30 PM – 10:30 PM
- Address: Ground Floor, East Wing, TPC Kuala Lumpur (TPCKL), 10 Jalan 1/70D, Off Jalan Bukit Kiara, Desa Sri Hartamas, Kuala Lumpur 60000
4. Ganga cafe
Ganga cafe serves you home-style food, making your stomach feel good after eating out constantly during your travel. This quaint little cafe serves preservative-free food, with fresh ingredients from their farm in the backyard. For gluten-free options, there is ragi chapati instead of wheat chapatis and these go well with their choice of vegetarian curries.
Their healthy vegetarian menu does not compromise on taste and provide a balance of flavours for boosting goodness in the food. Try out their range of juices, the highlight being Pranic juice a combination of lemon, lime, mint, ginger, cumin, pepper, and soda water which helps balance one’s Pranic energy. When you leave the place satisfied, you will appreciate its tagline ‘Food cooked from heart’ for sure.
- Highlight: MSG-free food, Healthy Gluten-free Indian food
- Must haves: Rotola(Ragi Chapathi), Palak Paneer, Ganga aloo chat, Pranic Juice
- Price for two: MYR 30
- Opening hours: 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Address: 19, Lorong Kurau, Bukit Pantai, Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur 59100
Also See: Malaysia Travel Guide 2019: Truly Asian
It is an authentic Kerala restaurant, with strong spices and coconut flavour. Kayra has a wholesome menu of selected Kerala recipes, with puttu, appam, parottas, veg and non-veg curries. Their Fish Pollichathu is the most favourite dish of the cuisine, which is fish marinated in spices which is wrapped in banana leaf and steamed.
Due to the abundance of coconut in Kerala, the cuisine enjoys various versions of it from coconut based curries, coconut milk, tender coconut payasam etc.. With the tasty lineup, you are sure to transcend to God’s own country, Kerala. If you love Kerala cuisine, this should be your go-to Indian restaurant in Kuala Lumpur.
- Highlight: Authentic Kerala cuisine
- Must haves: Meen Pollichathu, Mutton Ollathiathu, Sweet Appam
- Price for two: MYR 100
- Opening hours: 11:30 AM – 3:30 PM, 6:30 PM – 11:00 PM
- Address: 46, Jalan Tun Mohd Fuad 1, Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur 60000
6. Betel Leaf
Betel leaf one of the best traditional Indian restaurants with authentic Chettinad style cuisine. The restaurant’s speciality is its ingredients are grown from their own farm at Mantin, Negeri Sembilan, making the dishes fresh and yummy. Chettinad cuisine is one of the oldest styles of cooking from India, which is rich with flavours. The chefs in Betel Leaf have perfected the art of Chettinad cuisine and have crafted recipes with burst of flavours in both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. Try the meals and biryani served in banana leaf to experience different versions of this delectable south Indian cuisine.
- Highlight: Chettinad cuisine
- Must haves: Meals, Biryani
- Price for two: MYR 55
- Opening hours: 11:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Address: 77A – 79A, Leboh Ampang, Kuala Lumpur City Center, Kuala Lumpur 50100
7. Passage thru India
Passage thru India is literally a passage through the food culture and heritage of India, making it one of the best North Indian restaurants in Kuala Lumpur. There’s Punjabi to Chettinad cuisines, covering the various highlights of Indian cuisine. The place is beautiful with various arts and statues from India displayed tastefully.
There are different seating sections like Rajasthani themed low seaters and Chettinad section with a village setting. There’s live traditional music played in the place, making the dinner a soulful experience. As the ambience is itself a rich experience, the food served here is also equally good.Visit this place for the experience of extravagant Indian themed restaurant at Kuala Lumpur.
- Highlight: Rustic Indian themed interior
- Must haves: Non-veg and veg platters, tandoori and Chettinad specials
- Price for two: MYR 80
- Opening hours: 11:30 AM – 2:30 PM, 6:30 PM – 10:30 PM
- Address(there are two outlets): 4, Jalan Delima Off Jalan Bukit Bintang, Imbi, Kuala Lumpur 55100 and 9, Jalan Setiapuspa, Medan Damansara, Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur 50490
8. Flour, Dip & Eat
Flour is an elegant restaurant which floors us with its North Indian food. The first thing you notice is the detailed hardback menu with a page for a single dish. The menu is a gesture for us to understand the effort put into each dish. Flour’s biryani is the best in Bukit Damansara.
Also as the name suggests, there’s an extensive range of bread from layered laccha parathas to airy puris served here. The restaurant serves masala chai in mud pot tumblers for an authentic taste and it’s a show-stopper for sure. The place is usually crowded and book in advance to avoid waiting time.
- Highlight: Best North Indian food, pleasant ambience
- Must haves: Biryani, Indian bread, Curries, Masala chai
- Price for two: MYR60
- Opening hours:11:30 AM– 3:00 PM, 6:30 PM – 10:30 PM
- Address: 69 & 71, Ground Floor, Plaza Damansara, Jalan Medan Setia 2, Bukit Damansara, Kuala Lumpur 50490
9. Delhi Royale
Delhi Royale is fine dining at its best with elegant ambience, excellent service and awesome list of menu. The massive menu of predominantly North Indian delicacies can feel overwhelming, but you are sure to order a long list after tasting their complimentary pani puris. The restaurant has a striking interior with 20 seater long banquet style halls to intimate family tables. The place is a bit expensive but is worth for its taste, service and ambience. At this place, you can taste the authentic Indian food cooked with traditional methods in the finest of dining experience in Kuala Lumpur.
- Highlight: Fine dining, extravagant menu, awesome buffet
- Must haves: Raj kachori, Paneer Tikka, Mutton rogan josh, Moong dal halwa
- Price for two: MYR 150
- Opening hours: 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM, 6:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Address: 2 & 3, Ground Floor, Wisma Winbound, 33, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng, Kuala Lumpur City Center, Kuala Lumpur 50450
Further Read: Restaurants in Malaysia which serve the best Biriyani
10. MTR 1924 Malaysia
MTR(Mavalli Tiffin rooms) is a recent addition to the list of Indian legendary chain restaurants which opened up in Malaysia. MTR is from Bangalore serving the mouth-watering Udupi specialities and South Indian vegetarian food. The taste here is exactly as it is in India, the reason being all ingredients are sourced from India. This restaurant with its rich history of nearly 100 years, serves dosa which you have not tasted anywhere.
The batter is prepared with a different mix of healthy pulses making it stand out. Each dosa tastes different, and the best among them is the Masala Dosa served with ghee, chilli infused chutney and sambar.At this best south Indian restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, make sure you drizzle ghee on every item for a heavenly taste and end your meal with a piping hot filter coffee.This restaurant will satiate your craving for vegetarian south Indian food at Kuala Lumpur, leaving you drooling for more.
- Highlight: Fast Service, Ghee and filter coffee aroma
- Must haves: Masala Dosa, Podi Dosa, Uddin Vada, Mini Meals, Badam Halwa, Filter Coffee
- Price for two: MYR 60
- Opening hours: 8:00 AM – 10:30 PM (it’s closed from 3:30 PM – 5.00 PM on weekdays alone)
- Address: 69, Jalan Thambipillay, Brickfields, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.