As much as monsoons are welcome in India, they do make life for the traveller difficult during the months of June to August. The heavy rains in India put a dampener on most travellers plan. But there is a rainbow to this story; there are some places that are exceptionally beautiful and convenient to visit in these months.
25 Best places to visit in July in India
- Valley of Flowers
- Orchha, MP
- Vythiri, Kerala
- Mount Abu
- Lahaul and Spiti
This beauty in North India enjoys its peak season between June and September. The mountain peaks around Ladakh and the pristine lakes are in their prime during this time of the year, making leh Ladakh one of the best places to visit in July in India.
Weather in July in Leh
The weather in July is mostly pleasant. The afternoons could get warm and the nights could get chilly. Please carry some warm clothes for the evenings.
Places to see in Leh Ladakh in July
- Pangong Lake is a must visit place in Ladakh. This lake is spread over an area of 700 square kilometres. Surrounded by mountains and the turquoise waters, it will enchant your eyes and your heart.
- Nubra Valley is a cold desert which gives us breathtaking views of the mountains. Make sure you go on a camel ride when you are here.
- Other places you could visit in Leh-Ladakh on your trip in July are Zanskar Valley, Hemis National Park and Leh Palace.
Things to do in Leh Ladakh in July
- Mountain biking is an activity that you could enjoy in Leh-Ladakh at this time of the year.
- Whitewater river rafting in the Zanskar river is also a highly recommended activity during this part of the year.
If you were to ever visit Dharamshala, you would know why the Dalai Lama chose it as his residence. Surrounded by the Himalayas and the deodar forests, one feels a sense of calm engulf you as soon as you enter Dharamshala. It is a great place to visit in July in India if you are looking for some peace and calm in the middle of the year.
Dharamshala McLeodgunj has been very popular with the Britishers and was also mooted to be their summer capital. Dharamshala is still very popular with travellers both luxury and budget. Dharamshala’s popularity has increased after it became an IPL venue and is said to have one of the prettiest cricket grounds in the world.
Weather in July in Dharamshala
Dharamshala enjoys pleasant weather in July with highs of 31 to 33 and lows of around 19 to 21 degrees. You might witness a few showers in Dharamshala in July.
Places to see in Dharamshala in July
- Kangra fort and the tea plantations of the Kangra valley are worth the visit.
- Bhagsu waterfall which is an easy 3 kilometres from Dharamshala is a pretty sight.
- The Dalai Lama complex.
Things to do in Dharamshala in July
Some of the activities you can do here in July are
- Learn yoga or meditation – there are a lot of centres which teach various kinds of yoga and meditation here
- Learn paragliding in Billing
- Visit the Dalai Lama – this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Beware, Dharamshala is very crowded when the Dalai Lama is in town.
Shillong, fondly called the Scotland of the East, is one of the best places to visit in India in July. Though, the rains are very heavy in this region, by July the rains would have subsided. The number of tourists are also low during this time of the year, making it a nice quiet place for you to spend your holiday. Shillong is also a great place to visit in India in July if you are on your honeymoon.
Weather in July in Shillong
The weather in Shillong in July is very pleasant. You might experience a few showers.
Places to visit in Shillong in July
- Shillong Peak – The Shillong peak is the highest peak in the state of Meghalaya and offers stunning views of the Shillong city from there.
- Mawjymbuin caves – There are a lot of caves one can explore around Shillong. The interiors of most caves are dark and murky.
- Elephant Falls
- Umiam Lake – This is a beautiful lake north of Shillong. It is a lovely place to walk around.
- Lake Hydari park
- Don Bosco centre on Indigenous people
Things to do in Shillong in July
- Go golfing in what used to be India’s first 18 hole course
- Go trekking around the hills of Shillong
Udaipur – the capital of Mewar region of Rajasthan and the city of lakes. Since Rajasthan receives very less rainfall, the second half of July is a great time to visit Udaipur. If you are looking to delve into some history or for a luxury holiday, Udaipur is a great place to visit in July in India.
Weather in July in Udaipur
The second half of July cools down in Udaipur making it a lot more pleasant with highs of 32 degrees.
Places to visit in Udaipur in July
- The Udaipur City Palace is the main attraction in Udaipur. It is a collection of many palaces (small and big), gardens and other buildings like museums, etc. Some of the must-see places inside the Udaipur City Palace are Amar Vilas, Durbar Hall, Badi Mahal, Fatehprakash Palace (which is now a luxury hotel), Manak Mahal and the peacock square. The palaces here are a beautiful mix of various styles of architecture including European, Chinese and medieval.
- Lakes are another highlight of this beautiful city. You can take your pick from numerous lakes in the city. Some of the top lakes to visit in Udaipur are Fatehsagar Lake, Pichola Lake, Badi Lake and Doodh Talai. The famous lake palace is in on the Pichola Lake.
- You can also visit Saheliyon ki Bari which is a garden with beautiful lawns, sculpture and fountains.
Also See: 23 Best places to visit in Udaipur
Kodaikanal is one of the best places to visit in July in India. This beautiful hill station is lush green after the rains, the waterfalls are milky white with the water and the lakes are full to the brim. In short, this hill station in the Western Ghats is one of the top places to visit in July in India for your honeymoon.
Weather in July in Kodaikanal
The weather in Kodaikanal is mostly pleasant. There could be some showers in July here.
Places to visit in Kodaikanal in July
- There are 3 lakes in Kodaikanal. Berijam Lake is pristine of the three and probably the most beautiful. You will need to get a permit to get to this lake.
- The Kodai lake is the most popular of the lakes as it is in the centre of the town. It is bustling with shops, people and activities that you can do around here.
- There are also some lovely parks in Kodaikanal like the Chettiar park, the Coakers walk and Bryant Park.
- Like most hill stations in India, it has its fair share of points like Echo point, Old suicide Point and Suicide Point.
Things to do in Kodaikanal in July
- There are a lot of activities around the Kodai lake. You can go cycling around the lake or boating in the lake. You can also go for a short horse ride around here.
- Kodaikanal also has lots of trekking spots around it. Perumalai trek is an easy one which is to the tallest point in the region.
Coorg is a part of the region in Karnataka called Malnad which translates to the land of rain. The rains lash this region with great ferocity. But, when they abate towards July, they leave behind a lush, fresh land. The coffee estates and the forests around are green and pregnant with fruit.
Weather in July in Coorg
The weather in Coorg in July is pleasant. You will face heavy showers here but it is part of the appeal of the place in July. Grab your favourite beverage and enjoy the rains.
Places to visit in Coorg in July
- Abbey Falls has been a location for many a film shoots and you will know why once you get there. The milky white waterfalls and the luscious surroundings make for a romantic setting. It is definitely a place you should consider for your honeymoon in India in July.
- For wildlife lovers, you must visit Nagarhole National Park. You could spot elephants, tigers and bisons among the big animals. There is also the Dubare Elephant Camp where the forest officials take care of injured elephants or orphaned elephant calves.
- If you are in Madikeri (the main town in Coorg), you could visit the Madikeri Fort, the Raja’s seat and Mandalpatti View Point.
Things to do in Coorg in July
- Coorg offers a lot of trekking spots. Make sure you are carrying salt when you trek to get rid of leeches.
- You could shop for spices, coffee and handicrafts in the Madikeri market.
7. Valley of Flowers
If you are a nature lover, there are not many better places you can be in July in India than the Valley of Flowers National Park in Uttarakhand. The valley is located at a height of 3,858 metres above sea level. The valley is an abode of snow in the winter but in the summer, when the snow melts away the valley slowly comes alive and is in full bloom by the month of July.
How to reach Valley of Flower
You can get here from Rishikesh or Dehradun. You will have to drive down to Govindghat and have to take another short ride to the village of Ghangaria. Ghangharia is the base camp for the Valley of Flowers. The Valley of Flowers is a 9-kilometre trek here.
Weather in July in Valley of Flowers
The weather in July here is pleasant in the day and cold at night.
Places to see in Valley of flower in July
- There are miles and miles of natural beauty to see here.
- There is also the Hemkund lake which is a holy lake for Hindus and Sikhs.
Things to do in the Valley of Flowers in July
The best thing to do here is trek through the Valley of Flowers. By mid-July, most of the 350 varieties of flowers are in bloom making it a splendid sight.
Tawang, pronounced Dawang, is another beauty in North East that is a great place to visit in July in India.
It is at a height of over 3000 metres above sea level. It claims to fame is that it is the birthplace of the Dalai Lama. Tawang is largely a Buddhist region there are many monasteries and gompas here.
You will need a permit to get to Tawang since it is close to the border. It is a long 16-hour drive from Guwahati. You will need to hire a 4 wheel drive to negotiate the terrain.
Weather in July in Tawang
The weather in July is pleasant and wet
Places to see in Tawang in July
- The Paradise Lake at Sela Pass is a breathtaking sight.
- The Tawang Monastery
- Madhuri Lake – This was the location for a song in the movie Koyla which featured Madhuri Dixit.
- Tawang War Memorial – The Tawang War Memorial was built in the memory of the soldiers who lost their lives in the Sino-Indian war of 1962.
This pretty town near Pune gets its name because of the 5 hills that surround it. This quaint hill station really comes alive post the monsoons which quench the thirst of the land. It is an ideal getaway from Mumbai or Pune.
There are also other hill stations in the vicinity like Malshej Ghat, Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala and Khandala which are also great places to visit in July in India.
Weather in July in Panchgani
The weather in July is pleasant and wet
Places to visit in Panchgani in July
- Paris Point
- Rajpuri Caves
- Table Land
- Mapro Garden
Things to do in Panchgani in July
- For the adventurous, you can try paragliding in this region.
- There are also entertainment centres where there are horse riding, go-karting, etc.
Coonoor is the second most popular hill station in the Nilgiris. It is the quieter, mellow sister of Ooty. Coonoor is less busy, less touristy. It is also a beautiful place to visit in July in India, especially in South India. It is a great place if you are planning your honeymoon in July in India.
Weather in July in Coonoor
The weather in Coonoor in July is very pleasant.
Places to visit in Coonoor in July
- Sim’s Park – This beautiful park in the North of Coonoor is a nature lover’s paradise. It is also a great place for picnics or just walking around
- Lamb’s Rock – The Lamb’s rock provides a vantage point to view the plains of Coimbatore.
- Laws Falls
- Dolphin Point and Lady Canning’s seat are other popular tourist viewpoints in Coonoor.
Things to do in Coonoor in July
- You can ride the famous toy train from Mettupalayam to Coonoor.
- Bird watching is a popular pastime in Coonoor
- Walking through the tea gardens of Coonoor is also a must do here.
Orchha in Madhya Pradesh is like a time capsule from the 16th century. Located on the banks of the Betwa river, has many temples, palaces and forts from bygone eras still in very good condition. The closest town from Orchha is Jhansi, from where it is a 15-kilometre drive.
Orchha doesn’t have top of the mind recall when you think of places to go to in July in India but it is worth a consideration.
Weather in July in Orchha
Orchha gets more pleasant towards the latter half of July.
Places to see in Orchha in July
- Fort Complex – This is great sightseeing places to visit in July where you can spend the whole day. Inside the fort complex, one can visit the Raj Mahal, Jehangir Mahala and the Raj Parveen Mahal.
- There are also many temples in Orchha. The most famous are the Ram Raja Temple, Chaturbhuj Temple and Laxminarayan Temple.
Things to do in Orchha in July
- Two historic destinations that you can visit while you are at Orchha are Jhansi and Khajuraho.
- Jhansi is at a distance of 15 kilometres from here.
- Khajuraho is a 5 and a half hour train ride from Orchha but is well worth the journey.
Also See: Historical places in Madhya Pradesh
Lonavala is a beautiful drive from both Mumbai and Pune. This beautiful hill station turns into a cool, green paradise after the rains. Lonavala has long been a favourite weekend getaway from Mumbai and Pune.
Weather in July in Lonavala
The weather in July is pleasant. Expect some showers here, though the showers here add to the charm of the place.
Places to see in Lonavala in July
- Rajmachi Point – This point offers a view of Shivaji’s majestic Rajmachi fort. This point is 6.5 kilometres from Lonavala towards Mumbai.
- Tiger’s Leap – This point has a panoramic view of the cliffs around Lonavala. The cliffs here have a drop of 650 metres. There is a small waterfall here that is lovely at this time of the year.
- Bushy Dam – This dam and the adjacent waterfall make for a lovely pitstop.
Things to do in Lonavala in July
- Lonavala is famous for Chikki, you should buy some chikki while you are here.
- You can visit the Adlabs Imagica and Aqua Imagica which are theme parks.
13. Vythiri, Kerala
Vythiri is a scenic hill station in the Malabar region of Kerala. It has some amazing mountain scenery. It is also lush with plantations of tea, coffee, cardamom and rubber.
The monsoons are very heavy in this region so bring your rain gear but be rest assured that the beauty of this place during this time of the year makes it worth it.
Weather in July in Vythiri
The weather is pleasant in July but expect rains during your stay.
Places to see in Vythiri in July
- Suchipara Falls – This waterfall is a beautiful sight after the rains.
- Banasura Dam – This is one of the biggest dams in Asia. The reservoirs are full this time of the year. There are islands formed in the reservoirs. You can also go trekking to the Banasura Peak from here
Things to do in Vythiri in July
- You can shop here for spices, handicrafts, honey, coffee and tea
This little town in the North West of Karnataka is an up and coming tourist destination. It boasts of a tiger reserve, beautiful forests and the Kali river which runs through it. For the adventurous, you can try the white water rafting on the Kali river.
The closest airport to Dandeli is the Hubballi airport, which is at a distance of 80 kilometres.
Weather in July in Dandeli
The weather in Dandeli in July is pleasant but it rains almost everyday here during this month.
Places to see in Dandeli in July
- Anshi National Park – This is the tiger reserve in Dandeli. There are lots of hotels and resorts around here.
- Kulgi Nature Camp – This is at a distance of 14 kilometres from Dandeli. It has a museum and a nature interpretation centre.
- Kavala Caves – These ancient caves are located at a distance of 25 kilometres from Dandeli. The trek up to the caves covers thousands of steps and leads to a Shiva temple.
Things to do in Dandeli in July
- There are lots of activities in the national park including coracle rides (which will let you spot birds and crocodiles), rock climbing, mountain biking, camping and safari rides.
- Rafting is also a popular activity here. There are grade three rapids on the Kali river here.
Khajuraho is a magical place in the Bundelkhand region in the state of Madhya Pradesh. It has many beautiful Hindu and Jain Temples. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. To add to the spectre of this place, Khajuraho is surrounded by the Vindhya mountains.
Weather in July in Khajuraho
It is quite warm in Khajuraho in July.
Places to see in Khajuraho in July
- There are many temples in Khajuraho for you to see. The temples are divided in three groups – the Western Group, the Southern Group and the Eastern Group.
- You can use the audio guide provided by the Archaeological Survey of India to guide you through these historical wonders.
Things to do in Khajuraho in July
- There are a lot of interesting shopping spots here. You can buy sculptures depicting the various Kama Sutra poses. You can also buy local handicrafts in the Craft Emporium.
16. Mount Abu
Mount Abu is that rare hill station in the North West of India. Nestled in the Aravalli hills, Mount Abu has long been the getaway for people in this region. Mount Abu is especially beautiful in the monsoons as the land turns green with life. This makes it one of the best places to visit in July in India.
You can get to Mount Abu from Baroda or Ahmedabad by bus or a private taxi.
Weather in July in Mount Abu
Mount Abu enjoys fairly pleasant weather through July.
Places to see in Mount Abu in July
- Dilwara Temples are a beautiful set of Jain temples built between the 11th and 13th century, that are a must visit here.
- Nakki Lake is a beautiful lake surrounded by hills. You can enjoy paddle boating on this lake.
- There are also many points you can visit like the Sunset Point and the Honeymoon Point.
- There are other religious and spiritual places in Mount Abu that you can visit like Brahma Kumari’s Universal Peace Hall And University, Adhar Devi Temple, Shri Raghunathji Temple and Shanker Math
Things to do in Mount Abu in July
- A little known fact is that Mount Abu is a haven for bird watchers. It is a part of a wildlife sanctuary. You can go trekking here to admire the natural beauty of the place.
- Adventure activities like rock climbing are getting increasingly popular here.
Lansdowne is one of the best-kept secrets of Uttarakhand. This beautiful hill station in the Garhwal region has managed to stay away from tourists and overdevelopment. It is a quaint, serene place that has managed to maintain it’s old world charm.
Lansdowne is a 240-kilometre drive from Delhi.
Weather in July in Lansdowne
Although July is the third warmest month of the year in Lansdowne, it is still between a maximum of 27 degrees and a minimum of 20 degrees. It can get muggy sometimes.
Places to see in Lansdowne in July
- Temples – There are lots of local temples in this region that are worth a visit. Some of the famous ones are the Santoshi Matha Temple, Mahadev Temple
- View Points – Some of the famous viewpoints of Lansdowne are Tip-in-top and snow viewpoint.
- Garhwal Rifles Museum – You can visit the museum of the Garhwal Rifles Regiment of the Indian National Army here.
Things to do in Lansdowne in July
There are lots of temples and holy sites that are at a short drive from Lansdowne. For example, the Karnva Ashram is where legend has it Shakuntala gave birth to Raja Bharat.
Andaman is the beautiful group of islands in the Bay of Bengal. The islands are a treasure trove of natural beauty both on the land and in the sea. The different islands offer different things to the traveller, all extremely beautiful.
The surge in tourism in Andaman has meant that it is better connected by air via all the metros.
Weather in July in Andaman
Andaman is a place you can visit all through the year. The weather remains the same it is warm during the day and cooler in the evenings. July is warm too and it rains during this month.
Places to see in Andaman in July
The three main islands that are popular in Andaman are
- Port Blair – Port Blair is the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The island was also an outpost of the British rule in India. The Cellular Jail has seen many famous freedom fighters serve time here. Ross Island has beautiful ruins of the British rule and offers a glimpse of their life here. There are also many interesting museums like the Anthropological Museum, the Samudrika Museum and the Chatham Saw Mill.
- Havelock – This island has some of the best beaches in India including the Radhanagar beach. The Radhanagar beach is regularly voted as one of the best beaches in the world.
- Neil Island – It is the less popular cousin of Havelock but is as beautiful.
Things to do in Andaman in July
- The clear waters of this region make it a great place to enjoy snorkelling and scuba diving. A good scuba school will handhold beginners to make sure you enjoy the experience. There are also lots of dive sites for experienced divers.
Also See: 10 Best things to do in Andaman
Ranikhet is a beautiful hill station in the Kumaon region in the state of Uttarakhand. This picturesque hill station has long been a Bollywood favourite with movies like Raja Hindustani being shot here. Ranikhet is a cantonment town and is an important centre for the Kumaon Regiment. If you are lucky, you will be able to spot the majestic Nanda Devi from here.
Ranikhet is 350 kilometres from Delhi. Alternatively, you can take a train from Delhi to Kathgodam and take a bus or a cab from there.
Weather in July in Ranikhet
Ranikhet enjoys pleasant weather in July. You can expect showers here in July.
Places to see in Ranikhet in July
- Chaubatia Garden – This is a beautiful fruit orchard that is typical to this region.
- Bhalu Dam – At a stone’s throw from Chaubatia Garden is this quaint man-made lake
- Dwarahat – This historical place was the seat of the Katyuri Rajas. There are many sculptures from that period here.
- Kumaon Regiment Museum
Things to do in Ranikhet in July
- Ranikhet is on many levels. The tall pine trees and the lovely views make Ranikhet a great place to walk around.
- Visit the golf course here. It is very pretty and a great place to walk.
- Ranikhet is a great place to buy tweeds.
It is one of the wettest places in the world. It receives rainfall in excess of 11,500 mm per year. It is located in the beautiful East Khasi Hills in the state of Meghalaya.
Shillong is the closest capital to Cherrapunjee. You can take a private taxi or a shared taxi from Shillong to Cherrapunjee.
Weather in July in Cherapunjee
The weather in Cherrapunji in July is pleasant and wet.
Places to see in Cherrapunjee in July
- Living Root Bridges – The Living Root Bridges are one of the best examples of bioengineering in the world. The bridges are “built” by the people of the Khasi tribe. They have carefully guided the roots over years to build these bridges over streams and creeks.
- Seven Sister Falls – These waterfalls are a real spectacle post monsoon.
- Mawsmai Caves – These are right next to the Seven Sister Falls. These limestone caves have beautiful stalactite and stalagmite formations.
This beautiful town in Kashmir is blessed with some of the best scenery in the world. Sonmarg is also a great place to visit for people interested in adventure and trekking. The high altitude means that even the summers are pleasant here.
Going to Sonmarg in July means that you will be heading there towards the fag end of the season and thus, things are reasonable. Sonmarg is one of the best places to visit in July in India for Honeymoon.
Weather in July in Sonmarg
The temperature in July is below 17 degrees. Carry warm clothes.
Places to see in Sonmarg in July
- Thajiwas Glacier – There are three main points to visit here – Thajiwas Glacier, Fish Pond & Sarbal Park. You can enjoy the snow here. You can also rent a sledge cart.
- Krishnasar Lake – At a little distance from Sonmarg, this lake is a beautiful site. You can also enjoy trout fishing here.
Things to do in Sonmarg in July
- There are a lot of fun things to do in Sonmarg.
- You can go angling in the Indus River, where you will find trout.
- You can also go river rafting here.
- Buy Kashmiri Handicrafts at a reasonable price here.
22. Lahaul and Spiti
Lahaul and Spiti are beautiful regions in the state of Himachal Pradesh in India. They present a stark contrast to each other. Lahaul being green and Spiti being a cold desert. These regions are not very accessible currently and have low tourism. This means that Spiti Valley is not very developed and has some great natural beauty. This makes it a great place to celebrate your honeymoon in July in India.
You can get to Lahaul and Spiti from Manali via the beautiful Rohtang Pass.
Weather in July in Spiti
The weather in Spiti ranges from 15 degrees to 25 degrees in July during the day.
Places to see in Spiti and Lahaul in July
- Since this is a largely Buddhist area there are a lot of monasteries you can visit here. Some of the famous monasteries from this region are Key Gompa monastery, Tangyud Monastery and the Dhankar Gompa.
- Chandra Taal or the lake of the moon is a beautiful lake in this region formed by the melting of glaciers around it. It is a beautiful sight. The trek to Chandra Taal is also very popular.
- Khoskar is a beautiful village in the Lahaul region with the Chandra River on one side and snow-capped mountains on the other.
Things to do in Spiti and Lahaul
- This region is a haven for trekkers. The Spiti trek and the Chandra Taal trek are especially popular.
- You can also go on the Spiti Safari. The lucky ones might be able to spot a snow leopard.
If you are looking for a getaway in July in India, Kinnaur is one of the best places to get to. This sleepy town in Himachal is on the border of Tibet. Kinnaur is at an altitude of 4000 metres above sea level. It is especially beautiful in the months of July- August, as the peace, quiet and the wonderful views make for the ideal mid-year break.
You can get to Kinnaur from Shimla.
Weather in July in Kinnaur
It is quite cold and dry here in July.
Places to see in Kinnaur in July
- Sangla Valley – Sangla is the most beautiful village in this region. You will be able to enjoy views of beautiful forest slopes and mountains here.
- Devta Temple in Basteri is a fine example of local architecture.
Dooars is a region in West Bengal. It is an undulating plain lying at the foothills of the Himalayas. It has a range of places you can visit here to see the Himalayas, tea gardens or forests and enjoy their breathtaking beauty. Dooars is the door to Bhutan from Bengal.
The best way to get here is either via Siliguri or the Bagdogra airport.
Weather in July in Dooars
You can expect showers here in July.
Places to see in Dooars in July
- Mongpong – It is in the midst of the Himalayas and is a serene place.
- Samsing – You can enjoy tea estates here.
- Suntaleykhola – It is blessed with the natural beauty of the river and the forests that surround it.
Dalhousie is quaint, a serene hill town in Himachal Pradesh. The peace and beauty make it one of our top recommended places to visit in July in India. It is also ideal for honeymooners. Dalhousie has still managed to keep its old world charm which adds to the appeal of this place.
The closest airport to Dalhousie is in Amritsar which is 5 hours away.
Weather in July in Dalhousie
The weather in July is pleasant.
Places to see in Dalhousie in July
- Khajjiar – Khajjiar is called the Switzerland of India for its gorgeous valleys and meadows.
- Dainkund – It offers spectacular views of the Dhauladhar range. There is also a pretty Kali temple here.
- Kalatop wildlife reserve – This reserve offers great views of the Pir Panjal range and the countryside.
Things to do in Dalhousie in July
- Walking is a great activity in Dalhousie. The beautiful surrounds and the weather make for a great place to walk be it in company or solitary.
- Shop at the Tibetan market.