Manali is a year-round playground for adventure seekers from all over. Numerous agents in certain parts of Vashisht and Old Manai offer trekking, climbing, rafting and skiing based on the season. Apart from that, many Indian families and newlyweds come for their first taste of snow. Greater Manali has around 800 to 1000 hotels and guesthouses and tight-packed resorts in the town centre.
Must Read : 10 Incredible Places To Visit In Leh Ladakh
It does get jam-packed in mid-April to mid-July, mid-September to mid-October, and in December around Christmas and New Year, which is considered as the best time to visit Manali. Though if you plan to visit in November, you can find clear skies and discounted prices which is a total bargain if you are up for the cold.
The best time to visit Manali hill station is during the summers. This is a peak Manali tourist season if you’re adventurous and want to indulge in outdoor activities like trekking, paragliding, and rafting. The weather is usually very pleasant and ideal for these adventure stuff including zorbing and other mountain activities. You can find the flowers in full bloom which is perfect for people who love spending time with nature.
The temperature in Manali reaches between 10 degrees and 25 degrees Celsius. Although the nights will be a bit cold, so you must bring all those woollens and blankets to enjoy the weather comfortably. This is the best season to visit Manali if you wish to enjoy all the activities in comfortable weather.
Things To Do:
The summer in Manali brings with it tons of things to do.
- The festival of Basantotsav takes place in April. It is a state festival, and it marks the beginning of the spring season.
- Museum of Himachal Culture and Folklore for those history lovers out there.
- Jogini Falls and Rahala Falls is a must-visit.
- The Hadimba Temple is an excellent place to check out.
- Paragliding, river rafting, rock climbing and trekking.
- The Rohtang pass is a major attraction at this time.
- Hampta Pass Trek, Beas Kund Trek, Vashishta Baths and Van Vihar are other things you can do at this time of the season.
- It is also the best time for Manali road trip as the weather is in your favour.
Fun Fact : Basantotsav festival is also known as Spring Festival.
Best Time to Visit Manali in Summer : March to June.
Suggested Read : 20 Best Places to Visit in October in India
Monsoon is not considered as the best season to visit Manali due to the constant heavy rainfall that happens throughout this time. You might have to spend your vacation inside your hotel room as the weather will play spoilsport. It has unpredictable weather and places located at higher elevations are prone to constant rainfall and thunderstorms. Landslides during monsoons in Manali are also very common, which can damage vehicles and block the roads. Though it is not the perfect Manali tourist season and not the best month to visit Manali, if you are on a small budget, you will get great discounts on hotel room tariffs.
Fun Fact : The rains can reach around 200 mm during this time of the season.
Things To Do:
You can still do a couple of things during the monsoon-like:
- Visiting the Jogini Falls.
- There are Manu Temples and other monasteries which you can pay a visit to.
- Trekking is not recommended during this season.
This time between July and August is when the temperature of this region falls to about 25 degrees Celsius. Though the rains gradually recede after September and the tourist population increases once again.
Recommended For You : Best time to visit Darjeeling and top 8 things to do in Darjeeling
Best Time to Visit Manali during Monsoon : July to mid-September.
Winter is the best time to visit Manali for snow. It is the most loved weather by newlyweds and honeymooners from across the globe, as the place is very chilly. Some spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains can be experienced in the winter season. Also, there is the Winter Carnival, which is considered to be the most awaited festival of the year. Social groups and other students from various colleges all over India get together to celebrate this season. It is usually held at ‘Manu Kala Kendra’ in Manali and gives a five-day feast to all the visitors. Eventually, the hotel rates are higher than usual at this time of the season.
Travel Tip: December to February will give you most of the snowfall and the temperature in the winters can go below 0 Degree Celsius. Hence it is the best month to visit Manali.
Things To Do:
The activities that take place depends on the thickness of ice or the weather. Though you can enjoy the following activities:
- The hot water spring near Beas River is a must-visit.
- A stroll through the Rohtang Pass is just amazing.
- A trip to Chandratal Baralacha Lake.
- Visit Kullu.
- Manali Sanctuary and the Great Himalayan National Park are some wonderful places to check out.
- A trek to Beas Kund, Nehru Kund and Jogini Waterfalls is also possible based on the weather.
- Some stunning sights like the Arjun Gufa and Rahala Falls are considered as amazing attractions as well.
Adventure enthusiasts begin to flock this location during this time.
Best Time to Visit Manali in Winter : October to February is the best time to visit Manali for snow.
Further Read : 20 Spectacular Places to visit in December in India
Manali is one of those perfect places for your vacation. This is a place where the summer and the winter complement each other and nature is in its prime. Whether you are planning a solo trip, your honeymoon or a trip with your friends, Manali will not disappoint you!
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
1. Is June a good time to visit Manali?
June is one of the months that draw maximum tourist crowds. It is the best time for Manali road trip or if you want to indulge in trekking, hiking, paragliding or other adventurous activities.
2. What is off-season in Manali?
January to March and July / August till November are considered to be off-season months, and hence they are not the best time to visit Manali.
3. Is it advisable to visit Manali in October?
Manali in October is an excellent time to visit. With temperatures around 10 to 15 degrees, the weather is mild and you have a lot of enjoyable activities to do.
4. How many days are enough for Manali?
3 to 4 days should be more than enough to cover Manali.
5. Is Shimla better or Manali?
Shimla has a lot of historical monuments whereas Manali is more on the greener route and of course, snow. So, if you are interested in snowfall, nature and other adventure activities, you must visit Manali. Hence there is no question of one being better than the other, but which suits your purpose of travel.
6. Is Manali safe for tourists?
Manali is always safe for all people. It has honest, and humble locals and tourism is a major source of income there. Hence it is safe for all tourists.
Recommended Read : 18 Best Places For Destination Wedding in India