The incredible Rajasthan is appropriately named as the “ Land of Kings”. The biggest territory of India houses numerous illustrious vestiges that return you to the greatness of its kingdoms. Rajasthan is a land of deserts, places, vivid art, rich culture and tradition. It is also renowned for its colorful festivals, traditional cuisines and spectacular handmade artwork. The intriguing stories related to the remains of sentimental and rich past of the state, the beautiful villages, the holy lakes and the magnificent forts with intricately carved details make Rajasthan a dream destination for people across the world.
Rajasthan being the largest state has tourist attractions in every corner; here are the Best tourist places in Rajasthan that you must definitely visit.
Best tourist places in Rajasthan
Udaipur – The city of Lakes
Regarded as the most romantic city in India, the capital of the kingdom of Mewar is also known as the “Venice of the East”. Udaipur is branded as one of the best tourist places in Rajasthan. The city is set at the foot of the Aravalli ranges and has some extremely picturesque landscapes. The center of the city is set around the lake Pichola, which is also the number one tourist attraction in Udaipur. The City Palace is also one of the major tourist spots in Udaipur.
Witnessing the morning fog clear over the mountains past Lake Pichola from the battlements of the City Palace is a view to die for. As it is always called, Udaipur is a city of lakes and there are numerous beautiful lakes, like the Fateh Sagar Lake, Udai Sagar Lake and Swaroop Sagar. Udaipur, like any other part of Rajasthan, also is famous for is history. It was the capital of the kingdom of Mewar. The Sajjan Garh Palace, also known as the Monsoon Palace, is a fort from where one can see the entire magnificent Udaipur city. Parts of the fort have been converted into hotels that offer a royalty to guests, which is definitely worth experiencing.
Located around 64km from Udaipur, there lies the Kumbhalgarh district famous for the Kumbhalgarh fort. It is one of the most extravagant forts in Rajasthan. It has a humongous wall stretched to over 30km, making it nearly impossible for any enemy to cross it. The fort is 1900 meters above the sea level. The fort also hosts a magnificent light and sound show describing the history of the place.
Best tourist Places in Udaipur
Lake Pichola, City Palace, Fateh Sagar Lake, Kumbhalgarh fort, Lake Palace, Sajjan Garh Palace, Udai Sagar Lake, Jagdish Temple, Swaroop Sagar, Jag Mandir, Bagore Ki Haveli, Shilpgram, Vintage Car Museum, Karni Mata temple.
Things to do in Udaipur
- Boating at Lake Pichola
- Visit the lake palace and live in the royal setting.
- Visit the city palace, dine by the lake Pichola and witness the palace bedazzled with lights at night.
- Spend a day in the Sajjan Garh fort to experience the royal treats.
- Take a boat ride to beautifully maintained public parts across the Fateh Sagar Lake
- The panoramic view from the Kumbhalgarh fort is a sight to behold.
- See the light and sound show at the Kumbhalgarh fort to enhance your history.
Also See: The most serene lakes in Rajasthan
Jaipur – The Pink City
From the princely forts and citadels to temples and gardens, the regal havelis and the alluring architecture, the touring map of the capital city of Rajasthan is studded with all these. The rich Rajput culture and their brilliant past is lucidly reflected in the lifestyle and architecture of the famous tourist spots in Jaipur, the city that tops the list of best tourist places in Rajasthan. It is known as the pink city because of the color of the architectural marvels here. The Amer Fort, a world heritage site as declared by UNESCO, is the most visited attraction here.
If you are interested in some spooky stuff, the Bhangarh Fort is regarded as one of the most haunted places in India. The top most visited tourist place in Jaipur is the Hawa Mahal, famously known as the palace of the winds. The Birla Mandir is the most famous religious place in Jaipur with Lord Vishnu and Goddess Laxmi as the main deities. Famous for its intriguing sculptures and structures, Jantar Mantar Observatory is also one of the main tourist attractions in Jaipur. The Jhalana Leopard Conservation Reserve, with an area of 20sq.km, a home to leopards, spotted deers, blue bulls, desert fox, rhesus macaque and many more animals, is also a definite visit.
Best tourist Places in Jaipur
Amer Fort, Jaigarh Fort, Nahargarh Fort, Bhangarh Fort, Haha Mahl, Birla Mandir, Rambagh Palace, Govindji Temple, Jal Mahal, Johari Bazaar, Choki Dhani, Abhneri Step Well, Hathni Kund, Sambhar Lake, Jantar Mantar, Jhalana Leopard Conservation Reserve
Things to do in Jaipur
- Visit the Amer Fort and endear the mirror work and watch the amazing light and sound show at night.
- Elephant rides at the Amer fort.
- Witness the charming chowks and mahals light up at ‘Amer by night’.
- See the world’s largest cannon on wheels at the Jaigarh Fort.
- Visit the Nahargarh Fort and enjoy the sunset from high up in the Aravalli Ranges.
- Explore one of the most haunted places in India — the Bhangarh Fort.
- Witness the amalgamation of both Rajput and Mughal architecture at the City Palace.
- Visit the Jal Mahal for an underwater viewing experience in the Lake Man Sagar.
- Experience the panoramic view of the city from the windy Hawa Mahal.
- Stay at the palace turned hotel (by Taj Group) – The Ram Bagh Palace.
- Pray at the various temples, especially the famous Birla Mandir.
- Shop for some precious gemstones and traditional clothes and textiles at the Johri Bazaar.
- Stay at the 5-star village resort to experience the traditional Rajasthani village and eat authentic Rajasthani food.
Also See: Places to visit in Jaipur in 2 days
Jaisalmer – The Golden City
When you’re planning a trip to the best tourist places in Rajasthan, be sure you don’t, miss the Jaisalmer city. Lying in the heart of the The great Indian Thar Desert, Jaisalmer was built as a walled city in Rajasthan. The Jaisalmer fort, also known as the Golden Fort, is one of the biggest forts in the World and was constructed by Raja Jaisal with yellow sandstone that reflects golden hues. The Fort is a living fort, that is, the natives have homes and shops inside the fort. Jaisalmer is also known for the famous colossal dunes of Thar Desert, which offer camel rides and jeep safaris.
Situated almost 18km away, Kuldhara is an abandoned village, now known as the ghost town of Rajasthan. Around 7km on the outskirts of the city are the Amar Sagar Lake and Palace, and is known as the birdwatcher’s Paradise. Numerous exotic birds can be spotted around the lake.
Best tourist Places in Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer Fort, Sam Sand Dunes, Patwon Ki Haveli, Salim Singh Ki Haveli, Bada Bagh, Gadisar Lake, Desert National Park, Sonaron Ka Baas, Amar Sagar Lake, Kuldhara Village
Things to do in Jaisalmer
- Visit the Jaisalmer Fort, and witness the epitome of Rajasthani Architecture.
- Take a camel ride and desert safari in a jeep in the Sam Sand Dunes.
- Dance along with the profession Rajasthani Dancers to traditional folk music in the evening while camping at the Sam Sand Dunes.
- Witness the intricately carved walls of the Patwon ki Haveli
- Visit the Jahaz Mahal or Salim Singh ki haveli that has a roof in the form of a peacock.
- Explore India’s largest animal habitat, the Desert National Park, with unique flora and fauna all around.
- Shop for traditional jewellery at the Sonaron ka Baas.
- Take a trip to Kuldhara Village but preferably only during the day.
- Birdwatching at Amarsagar Lake.
Also See: Places to visit in Jaisalmer in 2 days
Jodhpur – The Blue city
Also famous as the ‘ Sun City’, Jodhpur is also one of the best tourist places in Rajasthan. It is the second largest city in Rajasthan. Like the entire state, Jodhpur also reflects a royal lifestyle, and was the power center of the then state of Mewar. The most visited tourist spot in the city is the Mehrangarh Fort, located 122 m above the city. There are blue painted houses of the city are clearly visible from the fort. The fort was built by the Rao Jodha and is still run by the ancestors of the king.
It is surrounded by extremely thick walls and has seven entry gates. Adjacent to the Fort, stand a cluster of majestic cenotaphs in white marble called the Jaswanth Thada. It is like a temple where deceased rulers are worshipped. The second most visited place in Jodhpur is the Umaid Bhavan Palace. It is among the largest private residences in the world. It has 347 rooms, a part of which is operated by Taj Group of Hotels. About 65km away from Jodhpur lays the ancient desert town of Osian. Famous and baptised as Osian Temples, the town has 15 beautifully sculpted Hindu and Jain Temples.
Best tourist Places in Jodhpur
Mehrangarh Fort, Jaswant Thada, Umaid Bhavan Palace, Mandore Gardens, Osian Desert Town, Osian Temple, Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park, Balsamand Lake
Things to do in Jodhpur
- Experience the audio tour of the spectacular Mehrangarh Fort.
- Do not miss the Rao Jodha Desert Rock Park, wasteland converted into a beautiful desert garden
- Explore the Royal City in a city tour by various travel companies.
- Visit the Jaswant Thada and make a wish. The locals believe that the monument grants your wishes.
- Experience the royal stay at the Ummaid Bhavan Palace and explore the museum displaying regal items.
- Visit the Mandore Gardens to take a trip back in time.
- Take a trip to Osian and visit the temples, especially the sun temple.
- Enjoy camel safari in the sand dunes in Osian and enjoy Camping in the village.
Chittorgarh – The birth place of Maharana Pratap
In the southeastern corner of Rajasthan, Chittorgarh is located on the banks of the Berach river. Chittorgarh is a store of old structures, rich legacy and evergreen old stories bragging its imperial magnificence. This old city of Rajasthan is home to different palaces, temples and forts.
The fort has been a witness to some magnificent battles particularly the attack of Allah-ud-din-Khilji which is set apart in the pages of history.Among the best tourist places in Rajasthan, the Chittorgarh Fort is the most visited tourist attraction and is one of the largest forts of the world. The two memorial towers, Kirti Stambh and Vijay Stambh are highlights of the fort.
Best tourist Places in Chittorgarh
Chittorgarh Fort, Rana Kumbha Palace, Fateh Prakash Palace, Padmini Palace, Meera Temple, Kali Mata Temple, Gaumukh Reservoir, Bassi Wildlife Sanctuary, Padmavati Palace
Things to do in Chittorgarh
- Explore the Chittorgarh Fort. It comprises of 22 water bodies, palaces, towers, and temples spread over 700 acres.
- Go to the The Rana Kumbha Palace, the oldest palace within the Fort. It is also regarded as one of the most haunted places in Rajasthan.
- Visit the Fateh Prakash Palace and appreciate the modern architecture.
- Explore the Padmini palace, named after Rani Padmini who was known for her beauty and intelligence.
- Pray to Lord Krishna at the The Meera Temple, the symbol of Meera’s true love for Krishna.
- Feed the fish at the sacred Gaumukh Reservoir.
- Safari at the Bassi Wildlife Sanctuary.
From the startling architecture to stunning legends of valor, sentiment and romance, royal residences, palaces, the regal forts and other antiquated structures of Rajasthan are even today standing firm to portray its amazing past. You will unquestionably love to scratch the history and extraordinary deeds of the illustrious Rajputs in this colorful state. Be it a weekend getaway or a long summer vacation make sure to include the above mentioned best tourist places in Rajasthan. These places will definitely mesmerize you and leave you with beautiful memories.
Further Read: Top places to visit near Jaipur