No matter where you go, Egypt will welcome you with its mighty River Nile, the beguiling desert and lush delta, and catch you off guard and in awe with its long past and story-loving people.
Well, it is time to start the prep and plan! Here is our guide that could help take you through the process, the visa requirements, the documents you will need to apply for an Egypt visa for Indians and the nitty-gritty.
Travel tip: In most Arab countries, including Egypt, the weekend falls on Fridays and Saturdays. This means tourist attractions are much more busy on these days than the rest of the week. Try not to visit popular tourist attractions on these days if you hate long queues!
India is unfortunately not included in the list of countries that are eligible to apply for an e-Visa to Egypt or visa on arrival. Thus Indians cannot apply for an Egypt Visa online. To visit Egypt for travel and tourism purposes, we need to get approval for a tourist visa from the Egypt Embassy in New Delhi or the Consular Office in Mumbai.
There are three types of Egypt Visa for Indians:
- Tourist Visa
- Business Visa
- Transit Visa
Recommended for You: Seychelles Visa for Indians
1.EGYPT TOURIST VISA FOR INDIANS
A tourist visa is granted to a traveller who wants to visit the country for tourist purposes or visiting family members.
A tourist visa issued by the Egypt Embassy or consulate allows tourists to stay in the Northern African country only for 30 days. In a rare case, to obtain this Egypt visa for Indians, the applicants are not expected to appear for an interview as it usually happens with the visa process for the most part.
Travel tip: Gone are the days when you had to bribe the guards outside the entrance to let you into the Great Pyramid’s burial chamber. Today you may enter after purchasing a $20 special entrance ticket.
The exception being, if you do not have any travel history previously, you will be asked to attend an interview with an immigration officer. You can apply for the tourist visa to the embassy or consulate (depends on which state you reside in).
Note: You need not necessarily be present in-person to apply for the Egypt visa for Indians. A relative or an agent with a valid authorization letter can also apply on your behalf.
However, ensure that you submit all the necessary documents to obtain a visa quickly.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR EGYPT TOURIST VISA FOR INDIANS:
- Carry two passport size photographs that were taken recently
- The visa application form filled out and signed
- A valid cover letter or a request letter to the Consular
- A copy of your confirmed and booked flight tickets
- Proof of accommodation and copy of hotel reservations
- Bank statements of the last 6 months, which is stamped and signed. The account should have a minimum of Rs.50000.
- Copy of the first and last page of your passport as well as the original passport.
- Your income tax returns for the past 3 years (although this is not mandatory)
- A copy of your travel itinerary
2. EGYPT BUSINESS VISA FOR INDIANS
For those travellers who are looking to visit Egypt solely for business and work, you must apply and secure a Business Visa.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR EGYPT’S BUSINESS VISA:
- A valid passport with a validity of at least 6 months from the date you intend to leave Egypt
- Two copies of the visa application form filled out and signed
- Two recently taken passport size photos with white and black background (should not be older than 3 months)
- A copy of your confirmed and booked flight tickets
- A copy of your document that is proof for the applicant’s sufficient funds – either the international credit card or foreign exchange endorsements.
- A copy of the document which is a proof of stay asserting your stay in Egypt – such as hotel bookings.
- A copy of your income tax returns for the last 3 years.
- A cover letter from the organization you will be representing in Egypt.
- An invitation letter from your business partners in Egypt which should be sent directly to the embassy or consulate in India.
3. EGYPT TRANSIT VISA FOR INDIANS
When you have landed in a country for a layover, on your way to your final destination, and if you wish to get out of the airport and explore the place a little, you will require a transit visa – that allows you to travel in that country lawfully.
So, if you are planning to change flights in Egypt as you travel to a different destination, then you may need to obtain an Egypt transit visa to leave the airport and transit through Egypt. But if you are going to remain inside the airport for a few hours, a transit visa is not necessary.
DID YOU KNOW: The passport holders from 9 countries are allowed to transit through Egypt Visa-Free! These countries are – Bahrain, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Macao, UAE, Kuwait, Oman and Malaysia.
Whether a traveller needs a transit visa depends on several factors, including your nationality and the intended duration of your transit.
FAST FACT: Since most international flights are very likely to stop in Cairo for a layover, it is effortless for travellers to obtain a transit visa in Cairo! Remember this, when you find yourself in the capital city next time!
Read on to see what documents you will require in case of Egypt transit visa to India.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR EGYPT’S TRANSIT VISA:
- A valid passport
- A valid flight ticket that proves your onward journey to the final destination
Must Read: How to get Spain Visa from India?
VISA FEE & PROCESSING TIME –
Obtaining a Visa can be confusing, difficult and time-consuming.
More than 40 countries can obtain an e-visa or visa on arrival to travel to Egypt – but India has not made it to the list just yet. This means that you may only apply offline to obtain a Tourist or Business Visa to be eligible to visit Egypt.
Note: There is no interview for applicants seeking a visa to Egypt, except for special cases where the Embassy of Egypt may request you to appear for one.
The Egypt Visa Fee is as follows –
- For a single entry Tourist Visa to the country of Egypt, the cost of a visa for an Indian passport holder is INR 1900 per person.
- For a double-entry Tourist Visa to the country of Egypt, the cost of a visa for an Indian passport holder is INR 2800 per person.
- For a single entry Business Visa to the country of Egypt, the cost of a visa for an Indian passport holder is INR 2900 per person.
- For a single entry Business Visa to the country of Egypt, the cost of a visa for an Indian passport holder is INR 4000 per person.
Many times, when we make plans to travel abroad, we are often caught worried about how long it will take for your visa to get processed. The processing time for Tourist and Business Visas to Egypt for Indian passport holders takes around 6 to 10 business days.
Note: The maximum duration you may stay in Egypt is 30 days. However, the visa is valid for up to 90 days from the date of issue.
APPLICATION PROCESS FOR A EGYPT VISA –
Egypt visa issued by the Egypt Embassy in India requires you to apply offline by completing the Egypt visa application form and sending it to the embassy or consulate. The steps are as follows:
- Register and download the Egypt visa application form. Ensure that you have the correct application form designated for Indian nationality applicants and the type of visa you wish to obtain.
- Next, enter all the required information accurately and submit the form either offline and in person at the Embassy of Egypt in Delhi.
- A relative or an agent can submit this form on your behalf.
- Ensure you have all the necessary documents and do not forget to submit all of it as well. You will also have to pay the visa fee at the time of submission.
- For an Egypt Visa, you are not required to appear for an interview.
- Wait for the intimation of your visa status, and soon it will be time for you to collect it from the embassy.
Forms required for Egypt Visa form for Delhi consulate.
Forms required for Egypt form for Mumbai consulate.
HOW TO APPLY FOR AN EXTENSION
If you wish to stay in Egypt for more than 30 days, you will need to renew your Visa as an Indian passport holder. This process may seem hectic, but the renewal process takes between two hours and 2 days. There is also a cost attached to this process. You will need to carry one photograph and two copies of your passport’s pages.
ProTip: Ensure that you can apply for a visa extension well in advance and do not overstay in Egypt past your visa expiry date!
EGYPT EMBASSY IN INDIA
Egyptian Embassy in New Delhi:
Arab Republic of Egypt Embassy in New Delhi
Address: 1/50 Niti Marg, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, Pin – 110021.
Contact number: 022-26114006/4097
Working Hours: Open from Monday to Friday, 09:00 am to 04:00 pm
Visa application timings: 09:30 am to 11:30 am
Consulate General of Arab Republic of Egypt
Address: 101 Benhur Apartments, 32 Narayan Dabholkar Road, Mumbai, Pin – 400006.
Contact number: 022-23676422/6386
Working Hours: 09:30 am to 05:00 pm
The Visa application timings vary depending on which state you are applying from.
1. Do Indians need a visa for Egypt?
Yes, Indian passport holders require a Visa to enter and visit Egypt legally. Many countries today have the option of applying for an E-Visa or obtain a visa on arrival, but Indians are not entitled to this yet.
2. How do I get a visa for Egypt?
As an Indian passport holder, you may apply for an Egypt tourist or business visa offline by submitting the relevant application form along with the required documents to the Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt or the Consulate. They will then process your application and offer a valid visa if you are eligible for the same.
3. How much is visa fee for Egypt?
The Egypt visa fee for Indians varies depending on which type of visa you are applying for.
The cost is INR 1900 for a Single-Entry Tourist Visa and INR 2800 for a Double-Entry Tourist Visa. Whereas for a Single-Entry Business Visa the fee is INR 2900 and a Double-Entry Business Visa costs INR 4000.
4. How long does it take to get a visa for Egypt?
After you submit your application and documents at the Egypt Embassy in India, it takes between 6 to 10 days for your Egypt Visa to be processed.