The top Greek island for families
There are about 200 Greek islands. Among them, which one is the best Greek Island for families? Whether your children love sandy beaches, adventure, water-sports, calm and serene island life, the following are the best Greek islands for families :
Crete is the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and the largest island in Greece.
Here, there are a lot of ancient European building to admire. The sandy beaches, beautiful mountain scapes, give Crete a very romantic and calm feel. It is also one of the best Greek Islands for families to visit.
Where to Stay in Crete:
- Chania : It is a calm and romantic place. It is the largest city in Crete. It is well known for its 14th century Venetian Harbour, narrow streets and waterfront restaurants.
- Rethymnon – It is a beautiful city with historical building and old museums.
- Agios Nikolaos – This is land is very clean town and looks like its neat even during the rains. There are a lot of restaurants by the lake which are beautiful.
- Knossos – This island is an ancient Greek city.It had a lot of places from Minoan civilisation.
Crete is a good place to visit Greece with toddlers. There are a few good water-parks here in Crete such as Limnoupolis, WaterCity, Aqua Plus and Star Beach. The best kid-friendly beach is the Elafonisi Beach. This beach is about an hour and half drive from Chania.
2. Rhodes, Dodecanese
Rhodes is the capital of Dodecanese, Greece. This island is best suitable for people who want adventure and also to people who just want to sit back and relax! There is everything here that a family requires: wellness centres, spas, babycare, watersports, kids-clubs and so on. You can really switch off your battery and relax.
Where to stay in Rhodes:
- Rhodes Town – Rhodes town is actually two distinct places, the old town and the new town. The hotels here are very family-friendly. Rhodes has to be one of the most interesting city of Europe.
- Ialyssos – Ialyssos is one of the ancient cities of Rhodes.Here you can find one of the most historical archaeological sites featuring the temple of Zeus.
- Kolymbia – Kolymbia is a sun soaked place, ideally located between the mountains and the sea.
- Lindos – Lindos is nestled at the foot of a steep rock and on the top of the same rock is an old acropolis, which overlooks the archipelagos.
Rhodes is one of the best Greek islands for families. The beaches, museums and also water sports here are best suited for families. The beaches here are very toddler-friendly. Beaches such as the Tsambika Beach, Traganou Beach are very kid-friendly. There is a Water Sport centre called Kiotari which a good kid-friendly water park.
3. Paxos, Ionian Islands
Paxos is not as commercial as the other Ionian Islands. This island is loved by wealthy Italians. Paxos, since it is less commercial.The beaches are sandy white with beautiful turquoise water. This island was nominated as the best Greek Island for families in 2016. This place would be an artists paradise.
Where to stay in Paxos:
- Panagia – Panagia is mountainous village which is surrounded by lush greenery. It has cobbled streets and majestic mansions.
- Antipaxos – Antipaxos is a small island in Greece, around 3 kms from Paxos. It is less crowded and very serene.
- Voutoumi Beach – Voutoumi Beach is one of the best unsung beacher of Greece. It is located at an offbeat location and it is best suited for families to travel in Greece with toddlers.
- Giaos – Giaos is the capital of Paxos. It has ferries, sea taxis and hydrofoils using which we can travel to other islands.
The water here is very clear. Some might even compare it to an aquamarine shade of mouthwash. Other places such as Loggos, is a small fishing town and a picture perfect place to relax in.
4. Corfu, Ionian Islands
Corfu in Greece is one of the most popular and best Greek Islands for families.It is the second largest island in Greece and in the Ionian Sea. There is a myth behind this island which involves Poseidon, god of the sea and a nymph ‘Korkyra’. Legend says that Poseidon married Korkyra and Korkyra conceived a son on this island. Phiax is the name of their son and the inhabitants of this island are known as Phaiakes.
Where to stay in Corfu:
- Corfu Town – Corfu town has everything you need such as an amazing Greek culture, beautiful architecture and amazing food. For a family trip, Corfu Town is like the place to visit. There are some nice hotels along the water and some in the city.
- Kavos – For people looking for amazing parties and nightlife, Kavos is the place to be.Kavos is all about the sandy beaches. So anyone who enjoys beaches would love this place.
- Paleokastritsa – Paleokastritsa is a very picturesque spot to spend a holiday in Greek with you family and the best place to visit Greece with toddlers.You can hire a car and roam around visiting a lot of museums and beaches.
- Sidari – This small town is full of Greek charm. The resorts and hotels here at Sidari are perfect for families and especially to visit with toddlers.
Generally, many families prefer to visit Corfu because of its serene atmosphere and family-friendly hotels and resorts.
5. Zakynthos, Ionian Islands
Zakynthos, also known as ‘Zante’, is very diverse. This is seen in the variety of beaches it has. The valleys are very fertile and the climate is very temperate. The sandy beaches, coves, calm waters and a diverse underwater life, makes Zakynthos one of the best Greek Islands for families.
Where to stay in Zakynthos:
- Zante Town – Zakynthos offers many things for visitors such as the famous church of Dionisio and numerous museums. The streets inside the town provides a very Venetian feel. The mesmerizing landscape gives a very luxurious feel.
- Alykes and Alykanas – Alykes is a very famous tourist town. In Greek Alykes means ‘saltern’ , there are many salterns here that provide majority of salt to Greece. Alykanas is an extension of Alykes.
- Argassi – Argassi is a coastal town which a numerous restaurants to choose from. There are taverns, nightclubs and few ruins of churches. People and families who enjoy nightlife.
- Vassilikos – Vassilikos consists of a group of houses on the countryside. This is a very nice place to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city life. This place is best suited for families looking for a quiet getaway with minimal crowd.
Zakynthos is called by the locals as Fiore di Levante which translates to Flower of the East. This place is very cinematic and immensely photoshopped. But fear not, this is not a dream, this is actually Zakynthos.
6. Lefkada, Ionian Islands
Lefkada, intrigues its tourists with its excotic beaches and calm blue waters. Because of its exoctic location, it is often referred to as the Carribean of Greece. This is an amazing place for families to spend their time and hence one of the best Greek islands for families and toddlers.
Where to stay in Lefkada:
- Lefkada Town: Lefkada Town is the capital of this island. It is the first village you get once you cross the bridge. It is a small town with cobbled streets and it is a nice place for families to have a stroll and enjoy their time together.
- Agios Nikitas: This village is along the seaside and it is very serene and calm. This village is best suited for families looking for some quiet time to spend among themselves.
- Poros: Poros is a village that stands on a slope overlooking the sea. This place is very famous among tourists during summer and there are lots of ferries from here to other islands.
- Vassiliki Village: Vassiliki is a small fishing village in Lefkada. It has a serene vegetation and it has become a famous family resort spot.
Lefkada is directly connected to the mainland via a bridge. There is no need to catch a ferry to this island. You can hitch a car to get here. Lefkada is famous for its white cliffs and history has it that this island was a site of an ancient temple of Apollo.
7. Mykonos, Cyclades
Mykonos is a famous island located in the centre of the Cyclades. It is the most cosmopolitan island in Greece. This island is the best Greek island for families. Here students, celebs and families have a chance to interact with each other.This island is perfect for people of all ages and the beaches are just mind blowing!
Where to stay in Mykonos:
- Mykonos Town: Mykonos town is not a big party place, so there is not need to worry about getting swept under the parties. There are a lot of beautiful restaurants here that any family would enjoy. Also during the day time, you can catch a bus and go exploring.
- Platis Gialos and Ornos: Platis Gialos and Ornos are two places where you can enjoy beautiful restaurants along the beach. You wouldn’t have to waste time to go into the city to enjoy some food all the time
- Chora: Chora is the mail town of Mykonos. It is very distinct because of its beautiful Cycladic architecture. Families enjoy this place as they stroll on the streets and enjoy the lifestyle.
There are a lot of beautiful beaches here such as the Super Paradise Beach, the Elia Beach – which is a secluded beach for people looking for some privacy. Mykonos is a beautiful choice for families to visit Greece with toddlers too!
Also See: 5 tips to save money in Greece
8. Paros, Cyclades
Paros, in Greece is one of the most popular islands in Cyclades. Located on the Aegean Sea, Paros is one of the best Greek islands for families, people looking for some romance and even young folk.The landscapes are breathtaking, the architecture here in very Byzantine and the water, of course, the water is amazing and beautiful
Where to stay in Paros:
- Naoussa: Naoussa is the best place in Greece for party animals.It lures tourists with is beautiful landscape and also with its internationally acclaimed beaches. People usually visit Naoussa either to party or have a romantic experience.
- Golden Beach: Golden beach is the most famous place in Paros. Its golden beaches and amazing restaurants make it on of the top places to visit in Greece for families. This beach is also toddler friendly and hence easy for families to visit with toddlers.
- Santa Maria: Santa Maria is best known for its off-beaten paths and secluded beaches. This would be the best option for families who are looking for a quiet time in Greece.
- Parika: Parika is the capital of Paros. Parika is best for families as the place is very family oriented. This place is not just harbours and churches.
The towns here display perfect example of Cycladic architecture with whitewashed harbours, churches and building. Many hotels here are still family oriented.
9. Santorini, Cyclades
Santorini or Thira, is one of the top destinations for families and romantic couples. Located on the Aegean Sea, Santorini is the site of a volcanic eruption, which makes it somewhat interesting.The volcano is still active! Santorini is also famous for its beautiful sunsets and luxurious hotels. All in all, Santorini is on of the best Greek islands for families, couples and toddlers too.
Where to stay in Santorini:
- Fira: Fira is the biggest and most popular place in Santorini. If you are a party animal then this place is made for you. Fira has a beautiful collection of restaurants, bars and nightclubs. You can hire a scooter or a bus to explore the shops and streets here.
- Oia: Oia has a beautiful architecture to it. The sunsets here are beautiful and very picturesque. Accomodation in this town is not very cheap. This village is a home to a lot of luxury and 5-star hotels.
- Kamari: Kamari is the best choice if you are visiting Greece with toddlers. Accomodation in this village is quite economic compared to the other islands. The hotels are at easy walking distances from the beaches. This is a very budget friendly place.
- Perissa: Perissa is another place which is budget friendly and it is best known for its black sand beaches. Perissa is a very fun place and best suited for a Greek getaway with the family. You can hire a scooter and explore the rest of the village here.
Also Read: Things to do in Santorini in the night
10. Naxos, Cyclades
Naxos, which is located between Paros and Mykonos, is the largest island of the Cyclades. Mythology says that this island was the nuptial isle of the god of wine. Naxos is not as popular as the other islands. Naxos is very fertile and has a lot of agricultural cultivation. The beaches here are the best in Greece. This island is also on of the top Greek islands for families. This place has a lot of Greek culture to be experienced.
Where to stay in Naxos:
- Naxos Town: Naxos Town is the capital and also the main harbour of this town. The Venetian architecture makes it on of the most beautiful towns in the Cyclades.
- Halki: Halki is the age old capital of Naxos. The Venetian architecture is still intact and we can see that in many of the building and churches.
- Apiranthos: Apiranthos is a mountainous village in the centre of Naxos. There is a lot of greenery and this is a very elegant place which has its architecture intact. This place is not for tourism, it is still untouched by tourism.
Naxos is a big beautiful island which is rich in agriculture , culture, tradition and has one of the finest beaches in the Cyclades. It has a lot of places waiting to be discovered. Hence, Naxos is an ideal Greek island for families.
Further Read: Best honeymoon destination in Europe in 2019