Switzerland is always on the bucket list of all those who like to travel. Apart from the famous Alps,best chocolates and fantastic wines, Swiss lakes are a major attraction for travelers and natives alike.There are over hundred lakes in Switzerland. Find the best of them in this list. Time to escape the work and take a relaxing leap towards beauty.
Top 10 Serene lakes in Switzerland
The largest lake in Switzerland, also known as Lac Leman in French, is Lake Geneva. Situated on the Northern Alps, the lake is shared between Switzerland(60%) and France(40%). Along with the mesmerizing view of the lake, there are plenty of water sports like Yacht Racing,rowing events held throughout the year. You can also experience dinner in Cruise and take boat and ferry rides if you want to visit France. Lake Geneva is also a popular destination for skiing in winter. An extremely popular lake in Europe, it is easily one of the best lakes in Switzerland.
- Best time to visit– During summer and Christmas
- How to reach?– Nearest airport is Geneva International Airport. You can also travel by high speed TGV trains and boats if you are coming from France. Driving to lake Geneva is also very pleasant as the roads are not crowded.
One of the most beautiful mountain lake of Switzerland is Oeschinen Lake. Situated in Bernese Oberland, near Kandersteg, the lake is surrounded by number of famous peaks of Alps.It is a popular destination during both summer and winter. While you can enjoy swimming,boating in the freshwater lake in summer, you can also take a walk on the frozen lake during winters. Tourists and locals enjoy various activities like ice skating, fishing, hiking and skiing in the winter. The cable car operates in summer and winter. The surreal view makes the visitor fall in love with the lake.
- Best time to visit-December to May(lake is frozen) and summer
- How to reach?– 15 minutes walking distance from Kandersteg(no car/taxi allowed), 2 hours drive from Zurich and 3.5 hours drive from Geneva airport to Kandersteg. You can also take cable car from Kandersteg to Oeschinen instead of walking.
Remember Arendelle from the movie Frozen? Well, Lake Lucerne will remind you a bit of Arendelle. It is the fourth largest and one of the best lakes in Switzerland. Though the lake is surrounded by Alps, the climate here is generally mild. Apart from boating and sailing, you can enjoy lunch on a cruise with a view. The nearby attractions includes the Swiss Transport Museum, Chapel Bridge and hiking in Pilatus.
- Best time to visit– January(for skiing), May to October
- How to reach?– 50 minutes by train from Zurich to Lucerne, nearest airport is Zurich
Thun will take you back in time with its medieval architecture and town setting. Located in this city is the splendid lake Thun, an Alpine lake. The lake stretches from Thun to Interlaken(Bern). Along with several summer and winter sports, you can also enjoy bungee jumping and paragliding in Thun region.You can relax in the lakeside resorts or take a scenic boat ride.The major attractions near this lake are two stunning castles and Thun castle museum.
- Best Time to Visit– September and October
- How to reach?– 36 minutes from Bern Airport by car, 45 minutes from Bern to Thun by car
Lake Constance is one of the largest lakes in Europe and is shared between Germany,Austria and Switzerland. Situated in the northern foothills of Alps, Lake Constance is home to UNESCO world heritage sites of Reichenau(prehistoric Pile dwelling) in Switzerland,Austria and Germany and the convent of St Gall in Switzerland. There are plenty of things to do when you visit Lake Constance.To name a few,you can go for boating in summer,cycling around the lake,hiking the Alps in winter,etc. There are also numerous castles and museums around the lake. Overall, you can easily spend a day or two exploring Lake Constance when in Switzerland. You can also visit Austria and Germany if you have the visa.
- Best Time To Visit- May,July,September and October
- How to Reach?– 1 hour 30 minutes drive from Zurich airport,Bahn and Swiss Federal railways both runs trains
The best time to visit Lake Zurich is all time. One of the most vibrant lakes in Switzerland, this lake shares boundary with four Swiss cities. The best way to explore this lake is by boats. The locals spend their summer here by swimming,sailing and fishing. Apart from this, you can visit early medieval Grossmunster cathedral and Fraumunster Church.You can also visit the Swiss National Museum within 15 minutes from the lake.If you just want to sit and relax, Lake Zurich also serves as a perfect picnic spot for families and friends. Enjoy this natural freshwater lake the way you want!
- Best Time to Visit– Throughout the year.
- How To Reach?– 26 minutes drive from Zurich Airport
Famous for its amazing blue colour and a tragic legend, Lake Blausee(blue lake) is considered as one of the most romantic lakes in Switzerland. This forest lake lies amidst Kandersteg and Frutigen, in Blausee Nature park. Though the size of lake is relatively small, the forest setting and the crystal clear water is bound to take you by awe. Apart from being a romantic spot, it is also an ideal place for picnic with kids. You can also enjoy a glass-bottom boat ride. There is also a little museum in the Nature Park.
- Best Time to Visit-October to December
- How to Reach?– 45 minutes from Bern Airport by car, 2 hours by train and bus
- Top 10 most beautiful villages in Switzerland
- Best road trips to unfold the beauty of Switzerland
- Amazing Switzerland train journeys
Lake Maggiore is the lowest(by altitude) and deepest lake in Switzerland. The lake is divided between Italy(Piedmont and Lombardy) and Switzerland(Ticono). The climate here is mild throughout the year and thus, spending time here can be very refreshing. You can experience the best of bungee jumping here, or you can go to the Locarno Festival, the annual film festival. If you want to experience a bird’s eye view, you can take a ride of the cable car going towards mount Cardada. The towns around here have an Italian setting and gives a romantic feel.
- Best Time to Visit– Throughout the Year,August if you want to attend Locarno Festival
- How to Reach?– 2 hours 30 minutes drive from Zurich, Nearest airport is Milan Malpensa(Italy), You can also opt for Geneva-Milan Eurocity Train for a scenic view ride.
If you love hiking and want to reach a satisfying destination, then you should hike towards Bachalpsee Lake. If you don’t like hiking,then you can easily reach there by a cable car from First.This lake in Switzerland is located above Grindelwald(no Fantastic Beast reference) in Bernese Oberland. It is one of those places that you must visit rather than you-must-capture. Though the lake is small, the view of peaks will compensate that. The hiking starts from First and you will reach your destination within 90 minutes.
- Best Time to Visit– June(For safe hiking)
- How To Reach?– 30 minutes drive from Interlaken to Grindelwald
Also known as Walen Lake, get ready to experience something magical when you visit this lake in Swiss.Lake Walensee looks like a fjord and is situated in Walenstadt. This is a perfect place to enjoy a family vacation. Flumserberg, a nearby skiing resort, is popular during summer.Seerenbach Falls near Walensee is also one of the major attraction near this lake. To take an elevated view, you have to take a ride in Kerenzerberg Pass. If you are visiting the place with children, the miniature golf games will be a must visit.
- Best Time To Visit-May to June & September to December
- How To Reach?– 1 hour drive from Zurich airport
The last but not the list is Lake Lugano, a lake shared between Switzerland(63%) and Italy(37%). This lake lies in Southern Switzerland. One of the best way to enjoy the beauty of Lake Lugano from Switzerland is to take a train ride upto Monte Generoso. The lake lies between Lake Como and Lake Maggiore. There are number of activities available to choose from. For example, you can go for trekking, horse-riding,sailing,etc. The setting of Lugano is a mixture of both old and new architectural styles and is unique in itself.
- Best Time To Visit– May to September
- How to Reach?– 15 minutes from Lugano agno airport.
The public transport facilities is Switzerland is pretty good and travelling to these wonderful lakes won’t be a problem at all. There is one similarity present in all the lakes mentioned above. You can enjoy the mountains in backdrop while enjoying the serenity of the lakes. Whether you are in Bern or Zurich or Geneva, you should visit at least one of these lakes if not all.