Switzerland is the country of soaring Alps and glaciers. It is so gorgeous that you might feel as though you have stumbled into a picture perfect postcard. Switzerland derives its beauty from the snow-clad mountain peaks, shimmering lakes, quaint villages and dense Alpine forests. Switzerland shares a common border with France, Germany, Italy and Austria, which adds a multicultural sophistication to this fairytale beauty. No wonder, this European gem dazzle travellers with its jaw-dropping scenery and cultural delights. With so many spectacular destinations, cities and towns, it is hard to point out the most beautiful places in Switzerland. However, we have tried our best to do that for you.
Best time to visit Switzerland
Planning a trip to Switzerland completely depends on your travel plans. If you want to experience thrilling winter sports, January and February are the best time. Summer is the ideal time to visit Switzerland if you want to witness mesmerizing views and engage in outdoor sports. Summer lasts from June to August. Switzerland’s weather in the month of September is usually pleasant. In case, you want to go for high altitude hiking, this is the perfect time to plan a trip.
12 Picturesque Places in Switzerland
Below is a list of the most beautiful places in Switzerland that you can include in your itinerary during your trip. This list includes some of the most spectacular destinations which are quite unheard of as well as a selection of popular tourist places.
Suggested read: Best honeymoon destination in Europe in 2019
Zurich has a top-notch airport and is a good way to begin or end your Switzerland trip. The modern and multicultural flair of Zurich makes this place one of the top-rated destinations in Switzerland. Set up on the shores of Lake Zurich, it offers wonderful vistas of the Swiss Alps. This city has a unique mix of attractions starting from art galleries to museums, high-end boutiques to extravagant nightlife. Strolling through the cobblestone streets of the Zurich Old Town will expose you to marvellous cultural treasures.
Top Things to do in Zurich
- Explore the historic Old Town
- Embrace the picturesque sight of Lake Zurich
- Witness Grossmunster, an iconic landmark of the 12th century
- Delight your inner shopaholic at Bahnhofstrasse
- Go for a hike to Uetliberg Mountain
The medieval city of Bern is also the capital of Switzerland. This city is going to charm you with its magnificent Old Town, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is said that Bern has one of the most well-preserved Old Towns in Switzerland. It also boasts a pretty botanical garden and a vibrant weekly market. Bern’s archaic towers and sandstone facades charm visitors with its impressive sight. The city is also dotted with cafes, bars and boutiques where you can chill and enjoy a glass of drink.
Top Things to do in Bern
- Walk through the beautiful Old Town
- Witness Zytglogge, the 12th-century legendary clock tower
- Admire Switzerland’s tallest cathedral in Bern
- Take a funicular to Gurten
- Delve into the rich history at Bern Historical Museum
The Swiss region of Appenzell looks as if it has been plucked straight from the pages of a fairytale book. As it is located very close to Germany, this place is an amalgamation of cultural influences. With the rolling hills and green meadows, Appenzell is the home to numerous cows. This region is also known as the ‘Swiss Dairy Country’ and quite popular for the Appenzeller cheese. Appenzell is one of the most offbeat destinations in Switzerland with a magnificent Old Town and lush scenery. For explorers and hikers, this place is truly a paradise.
Top Things to do in Appenzell
- Ride to the top of Ebenalp Mountain
- Indulge in adrenaline-pumping sports
- Walk through the Ebenalp Wildkirchli
- Sink in the majestic view of Lake Seealpsee
- Walk through the Town Center
4. Saint Gallen
Saint Gallen, the seventh largest city of Switzerland came into existence in the year 612 AD. Snuggled between pre-Alpine hills in Eastern Switzerland, it shares the border with four other countries. Saint Gallen features impressive buildings with colourful murals and beautiful balconies. The most popular landmark is the Baroque Cathedral along with the Abbey Library, that houses around 1,70,000 ancient hand-written documents. This library is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and reflects the Rococo architectural style in Switzerland. When you are here, let the majestic sight of this wonderland take your breath away.
Top Things to do in Saint Gallen
- Get overwhelmed by the architectural splendour of Abbey Cathedral
- Look into the oldest literature collection at Abbey Library
- Stroll through the historic Old Town
- Witness Alpine animals at Peter and Paul Wildlife Park
- Visit Textilmuseum which displays ancient embroidery and lacework
Also read: Top 10 Beautiful cities in the world – 2019
The quaint town of Lausanne is one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland. It is the home to the International Olympic Committee since 1914. The Lausanne City Centre has a medieval charm and the best way to sink in its pleasure is to explore it on foot. The 12th-century Gothic Cathedral in the medieval town is the finest architectural example in entire Switzerland. This beautiful city on Lake Geneva also offers stunning views of the surrounding. The streets are lined with vibrant cafes and bars where you can relax and admire the beauty around.
Top Thing to do in Lausanne
- Explore Lausanne’s city centre and wander through the streets
- Enjoy a cruise ride across Lake Geneva
- Get to know the moments and history of the Olympics at the Olympic Museum
- Explore the breathtakingly beautiful Cathedral of Notre-Dame
- Witness the oldest fountain of Lausanne at Place de la Palud
If you are planning to visit one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland in winter, Interlaken will always top the chart. Set up in the Bernese Oberland Region, Interlaken is a slice of heaven between Lake Brienz and Lake Thun. If you are a nature enthusiast, this place will never fail to amaze you. It is the base of the Jungfrau skiing region and also offers a lot many adrenaline-driven activities. Whether you are looking for an action-packed or chilly-packed vacation, you will find everything in Interlaken.
Top Things to do in Interlaken
- Enjoy a walk along Lake Brienz or Lake Thun
- Indulge in sledging down the snowy hills
- Taste a cheese raclette, Interlaken’s speciality
- Try out skiing at Jungfrau region
- Engage in ice-skating
Must Read: Honeymoon Destination in Switzerland
7. Jungfrau Region
One of the most beautiful places in Switzerland in winter is the Jungfrau region. Whether you visit in summer or in winter, this region offers you endless possibilities. If you want to soak in the true flavours of Jungfrau in summer, go for a hike through the scenic trails. In the winter months, skiing is a favourite pastime for locals as well as tourists alike. No wonder, this mountainous landscape with Alpine peaks, green meadows and large glaciers offer plenty of activities to engage in throughout the year.
Top Things to do in Jungfrau
- Visit Jungfraujoch, home to the Sphinx Observatory
- Witness the iconic peak of Schilthorn
- Savour the view of Trummelbachfalle, a series of ten glacier waterfall cascades
- Meander through the streets of Wengen
- Get to know Swiss history at Ballenberg Open Air Museum
8. St. Moritz
St.Moritz is often known as the melting pot of languages. People living here speak French, German or English. With impressive glaciers, jagged peaks, lush forests and tranquil lakes, it is one of the highest mountain destinations in the world. Interestingly, tourists visit St.Moritz to soak in the fresh air, lakeside views and picturesque hamlets. If you are willing to delve into the local culture of Switzerland, this is the place for you. If you are an adrenaline junkie, engage in thrilling activities at St.Moritz. During the summer, you can indulge in hiking. In the winter, you can enjoy everything starting from skating to bobsledding.
Also See: Amazing train journeys in Switzerland
Top Things to do in St. Moritz
- Witness magical sunrise at Lake St.Moritz
- Visit Segantini Museum which showcases the work of the popular painter Giovanni
- For a great hike in the summer and amazing ski in the winter, Piz Nair is the perfect spot
- Witness Leaning Tower, the 12th-century iconic landmark
- Experience modern art and exhibitions at Galerie Gmurzynska
Situated between Germany and France, Basel is one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland. It is also the third largest city, bisected by the Rhine River. Basel is popular for its cultural pursuits. Also known as the ‘City of Art’, Basel never fails to mesmerize visitors with its unique mix of art galleries, theatres and museums. In addition, the architecture of the city is art in itself. The buildings around the Town Square are sculpted with red sandstone that adds to the charm.
Top Things to do in Basel
- Explore Kunstmuseum Basel where you can admire pieces dating back to the 19th century
- Admire the splendid architecture of the medieval church, Basel Minster
- Wander through the narrow lanes of Basel Old Town
- Witness the ancient paper mill in Basel
- Sink in the beauty of the City Hall
Ticino is an incredible example of Switzerland’s natural beauty. It shares a common border with Italy and is the only canton in Switzerland that speaks Italian. The fantastic mountain tours starting in snow often ends in thick chestnut forests. No wonder, the Alps are marvellous as other places in Switzerland, but here you can soak in the magic at a chestnut shaded grotto. Thus, Ticino is a perfect combination of Alpine beauty with the Italian way of living. Sink in the magnificent view of the Monte San Salvatore by embarking on a boat ride across Lake Lugano.
Top Things to do in Ticino
- Witness Madonna del Sasso, one of the most sacred sites
- Meander through the cobbled streets of Ascona
- Immerse in the scenic beauty of Verzasca Valley
- Visit Monte Bre and admire panoramic views of Lake Lugano
- Explore Morcote, the prettiest hamlet in Switzerland
If you are willing to step your foot in one of the most beautiful places in Switzerland in winter, Lucerne is the ideal choice. Experiencing the Christmas market in Lucerne will leave you with a touch of magic. Feast your eyes with the twinkling lights all over the Old Town and quench your thirst with a glass of mulled wine. Wooden bridges, fortified towers and splendid churches have made Lucerne one of the must-visit places in Switzerland. Savour the views of Lake Lucerne and the surrounding, by riding up to the peak of Mount Rigi or Mount Pilatus.
Top Things to do in Lucerne
- Relish the stunning views from the top of Mount Pilatus
- Stroll through the Old Town of Lucerne
- Sink in the charm of Lake Lucerne
- Walk across the 14th century Chapel Bridge
- Witness modern art at Rosengart Collection
Montreux is a jewel of Switzerland located on Lake Geneva. Besides historical sites, ancient architecture, and impressive lanes, Montreux has gained popularity due to its International events and festivals. One of the best things to do in Montreux is to witness the magical Chateau De Chillon, a 13th-century castle. This Swiss town also offers visitors with unending attractions in summers as well as winters. Biking and hiking in the Lavaux Vineyards and the shores of Lake Geneva are a must-try activity. In the winters, one can indulge in ice-skating on a naturally frozen rink at Caux. This is indeed an experience of a lifetime.
Top things to do in Montreux
- Get a glimpse of Chateau De Chillon
- Stroll through the pretty promenade
- Enjoy a boat ride through the tranquil water of Lake Geneva
- Take a guided tour of Lavaux Vineyards, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Explore the serene village of Vevey
There is a unique charm about Switzerland. There are so many things to explore – starting from majestic Old Towns to snow-clad mountains, ancient museums to impressive castles. Although we have narrowed down our list of the most beautiful places in Switzerland that doesn’t mean we have covered it all. So, what are you waiting for? Hurry up and start ticking off these places from your bucket list.