Sweden is a Nordic dream which offers everything there is to life and travel. From food, architecture, medieval history, lush landscapes and snowy mountains, Sweden must be on top of your bucket list. With tons to things to experience in this land, let us look at some of the best places to visit in Sweden that must make it to your itinerary and some top things to do in Sweden.
Also Read: Sweden Visa For Indians
Stockholm is a remarkable city to visit which is surrounded by 14 islands which are connected by more than 50 bridges. Culture and heritage are rich here and has a wide variety of things to experience. Music lovers would love to go to the ABBA Museum while others would prefer to explore the 600 rooms in the Swedish Royal Palace. Whatever may be your preference, the capital city has numerous attractions for everyone and is one of the most amazing places to visit in Sweden.
THINGS TO DO IN STOCKHOLM
- You can have a guided tour of Stockholm to visit all the significant places at once.
- Witnessing the Royal Guard Change is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Island hopping is fun if you love to spend time at the beaches.
- The Vasa Museum is very famous if you are a history lover.
- Nature lovers can spend time at some fantastic locations.
- Unwinding at Stockholm’s cafés and bars and enjoying the nightlife.
BEST TIME: March-early November is the best time to visit this place.
TRAVEL TIP: If you are on a shorter stay sometime around April to September, a boat to Fjäderholmarna islands is not to be missed.
THE ICEHOTEL IN JUKKÄSJARVI
What is Sweden famous for? The world-famous ICEHOTEL that you get to experience every December, which is one of its kind. The design of the hotel is newly done every year because the ice melts back to the Torne river after winter ends. Though now they have built some permanent structures which gives people the chance to experience the winter hotel all 365 days a year. The ICEHOTEL in Jukkäsjarvi is one of the most iconic places to visit in Sweden during this season.
Also Read: Best Time To Visit Europe In 2020
THINGS TO DO AT ICEHOTEL
- Ice sculpting.
- Enjoy a drink at the ice bar, which is also given to you in ice cups.
- Dog sledging is fun.
- You can also see the Northern Lights here.
BEST TIME: December to early April for the Winter hotel. If you wish to visit the ICEHOTEL 365, it’s open throughout the year.
Are you adventurous and love mountains? Kebnekaise is on the top of places to visit in Sweden if you love trekking and hiking. Being the highest mountain peak in Sweden, Abisko to Sarek is the natural high point range. Split into two parts, the western trail is a bit easy to climb but will be lengthy. The shorter trail is on the eastern side but it requires some climbing to do.
Also Read: Top 7 Mountains in Switzerland
THINGS TO DO AT KEBNEKAISE
- Trekking & Hiking.
- The snowy panoramic views are a wonder to watch.
- You can also enjoy skiing.
- Some rare animals can be spotted on these mountains if you are lucky.
BEST TIME: June to September.
Kosterhavet is a special place where the first and only Marine National Park of Sweden was inaugurated. Boating and kayaking top the list of things to do in Kosterhavet. The park here is home to almost 6000 species. Diving and Snorkelling is a must to experience the beautiful coral reefs here.
THINGS TO DO IN KOSTERHAVET
- The outdoor activities are great.
- Explore the amazing caves and coves in Kosterhavet.
- Go for Biking and bird watching.
- The marine pursuits are a great experience.
BEST TIME: Throughout the year.
Gothenburg is considered as one of the loveliest places to visit in Sweden. This gives a perfect reason to explore the place at your own pace. The archipelago is one the best Sweden tourist place which is situated along the Göta Älv River and is also what is Sweden known for. It has a resemblance to Amsterdam because the many canals that mark the city. Also, the shops and cafes here are a must-visit to chill out with the locals.
THINGS TO DO IN GOTHENBURG
- Take a boat tour through the canals.
- A trip to the museums and galleries.
- The biggest botanical garden in Sweden cannot be missed.
- The local coffee in the cafes.
BEST TIME: June to August
TRAVEL TIP: This is the largest port city in Scandinavia.
Also Read: Top 25 things to do in Budapest
Let me pop the question again – What is Sweden famous for? The Land of the Midnight Sun, where daylight will last for 24 hours over several weeks. One of the major highlights is the northern lights, which are best seen in Lapland during the winters. The snow blends well with nature along with the wildlife, which has made it their home. Your trip remains incomplete without this place. The Sami, Europe’s indigenous people, will also offer you some amazing experiences to cherish.
THINGS TO DO IN LAPLAND
- The UNESCO World Heritage Site, Gammelstad Church Village in Luleå, is a definite visit.
- A trip to the Abisko National Park.
- Skiing at Riksgränsen will be remarkable.
- Hotels made of ice and snow will be a perfect stay.
BEST TIME: December to March
Also Read: Top 25 things to do in Budapest
A paradise for hiking lovers, High Coast provides you with a lot of unexplored terrains full of surprises. The trail passes through human settlements regions and dense forests which makes the hike exciting. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a must-visit for adventurous people.
THINGS TO DO IN HIGH COAST
- The land and seascape are majestic to watch.
- Look out for animals in the forests.
- Archipelago on the kayak is not to be missed.
- Fishing in the waters, taming the horses and cycling along the coastline.
- The second highest waterfall in Sweden is a spectacular watch.
BEST TIME: June end to early August
Down south in Sweden lies the city of Lund. The 12th-century cathedral here with Roman architecture is one of the most visited places in Sweden. Combined with cobblestone streets, the squares are fascinating to wander around.
THINGS TO DO IN LUND
- The astronomical clock is famous, and it rings twice daily.
- People interested in culture and heritage can have a tour of the museums here like the Museum of Sketches and Kulturen, which is an open-air museum.
- Vattenhallen Science Center is for the science enthusiasts.
BEST TIME: Mid-May to September
Oland looks like a location right out the set of The Vikings. One of the best places to visit in Sweden if you want to get away from the usual hustle-bustle of city life. It’s known for its sandy beaches and green valley. The rustic villages give you a feel of the iron age though it has some modern touch like night clubs to make the nights interesting.
THINGS TO DO IN OLAND
- A trip to Gosslunda.
- Skedemose Museum is a nice visit.
- The Oland Bridge and Ismantorp Fortress are not to be missed.
BEST TIME: May to September.
Marstrand is among the top Sweden tourist places mainly because of the Old fortress and sailing craze. The place has a different aura with all the Sailing boats of varying shapes and sizes stacked alongside the ocean. A 17th-century Carlsten Fortress guards the place, adding to the charm. Like Stockholm, you can also find the touch of nightlife, shopping and other entertainment. Swedish spas are popular here if you want to relax.
THINGS TO DO IN MARSTRAND
- The pastel-coloured buildings give excellent background for photography.
- The annual sailing competition is the main attraction here and is what is Sweden known for.
- Pater Noster Lighthouse and the Strandverket Art Museum.
BEST TIME: May – September
Head to Osterlen to experience the countryside of Sweden. If you are a person looking for some alone time and gather your thoughts, this is the best place to visit in Sweden. Here you can write the book that you have always wanted to write but never got the time nor the atmosphere to think. The beaches and the greenery are to provide you with some fantastic landscapes for the perfect display picture for your social media.
THINGS TO DO IN ÖSTERLEN
- The Beaches are a must-visit.
- The greenery in the countryside throughout the land can be explored at leisure.
BEST TIME: May to September.
Also Read: 12 Best Places to visit in Italy in 2020
TYLOSAND BEACH IN HALMSTAD
Located in Halmstad, Sweden’s most popular sandy beach should be on your list. It has bars, clubs and people interested in art can visit the biggest art gallery in Sweden here. It has a collection of over 400 works from artists around the world. The population in the locality is pretty small, and the beach runs for over 7km.
THINGS TO DO IN TYLOSAND
- The golf courses are pretty famous.
- Hotell Tylosand is a huge landmark here.
- The local bars and clubs are an excellent place to chill.
BEST TIME: Summer is the best time to visit this place.
Also Read: 20 Amazing Sri Lanka beaches you can’t miss
Sweden’s first-ever town, founded in AD 980, which was The Viking era’s last century. Sigtuna village lies along Lake Mälaren just north of Stockholm. It has a rich history which is still found in the medieval churches and ruins that adorn the place. Interesting boutique shops where you get handicrafts are available in Along Storgatan which is 1000 years old.
TRAVEL TIP: Sigtuna is a 45-minute drive from Stockholm by car, 30 minutes from Uppsala and 20 minutes from Arlanda airport.
THINGS TO DO IN SIGTUNA
- Local restaurants and cafes.
- Ancient church ruins and buildings.
BEST TIME: August/September.
Sweden’s largest island, Gotland is surrounded by the Baltic Sea. Surprisingly, agriculture, IT and tourism are among the major industries in this place. One of Sweden’s most popular places, the land receives more sunlight compared to any other place in Sweden. Visby is the only city here and is a beautiful Hanseatic town. Most of its townscape has been preserved and has a rich history.
THINGS TO DO IN GOTLAND
- Around 100 medieval churches occupy the area.
- A lot of prehistoric sites are a must-visit for people interested in architecture and history.
- Don’t forget the beaches, which are the main attraction here.
BEST TIME: June to August.
The second largest lake in Sweden, this is also one of the best places to visit in Sweden. Severe gales occur in the lake resulting from the shape of the lake. Hence it is sensitive to the influence of wind. Jönköping lies on the southern shore and deserves a visit. The Motala harbour and the long sandy beach of Varamon are some nice places to see.
THINGS TO DO IN LAKE VATTERN
- The village of Gränna.
- Tiveden National Park is a nice place.
- The forests and hiking trails here are not to be missed.
- Ruins at Brahehus and the historical town of Vadstena are some places to see.
BEST TIME: May to September
In addition to these places, there are other fascinating things to do in Sweden, which you will come across during your trip. At the end of your vacation, be sure to go back home with some amazing memories and a thirst to come back for more.