Amritsar is a beautiful holy city in Punjab. Home of the famous Golden Temple, the most sacred place for Sikhs. The city offers heritage walks which take you through the historical importance of the religious places and monuments. The holy city has many other attractions like Wagah Border rituals, Jallianwala Bagh Garden, Maharaja Ranjit Singh Museum and Harike Wetland and Bird sanctuary. Amritsar is a vibrant city with lip-smacking Punjabi food and unlimited shopping options.
Apart from the rich cultural experience in the city, Amritsar is located at a strategic location, making it a gateway to many famous tourist places in North India. The places near Amritsar are within 200 Kms and present an amalgamation of hill stations, scenic hiking trails, important religious places, wildlife sanctuaries and vibrant cities. India’s most famous hill stations and cities fall in this list of places to visit near Amritsar. Take the 3 hours drive to these destinations, to experience the mesmerizing cities in and around the Himalayan range.
So, what are you waiting for? Plan your holidays to experience snow, blooming valleys, dense forests, pristine lakes, paragliding, skiing, trekking, and peaceful holy places in these escapades near Amritsar.
List of 10 best places to visit near Amritsar
Places to visit near Amritsar within 100km
The city of Jalandhar expresses Punjabi culture at its best. Jalandhar is one of the oldest cities dating back to Great Indus Civilization has a rich set of historical monuments. Now, a well-developed city, Jalandhar is a fun tourist place near Amritsar within 100 Kms. While in Jalandhar, plan a visit to the 800-year-old Imam Nasir Mausoleum, 200-year-old Devi Talab Mandir, spiritual Sodal mandir and beautiful Nikku Park. Imam Nasir Mausoleum steals the heart of the visitors as Mughal architecture is at its finest here, the mosque inside hosts daily prayers and Muslim festivities.
Rangla Punjab Haveli in Jalandhar is a beautiful place which displays traditional Punjabi village lifestyle, with real houses, utensils and statues of people performing daily chores. This place also has live music, traditional dance, and a wide array of Punjabi food to satisfy your taste buds. Jalandhar has the best of Punjabi cuisine with places serving mouth-watering Makki ki roti, Sarson ka saag, butter chicken and karahi paneer.
- Distance from Amritsar: 82 Km
- Best time to visit: Winter season(October to March)
- How to reach: Buses and taxis frequently connect Amritsar and Jalandhar.
- Famous for: Punjabi cuisine, Historical sites
It is one of the largest cities of Punjab, which acts as a gateway for the neighbouring states Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh. Pathankot is a charming city with a rich culture and history. This city is situated in the foothills of Himalayas and surrounded by beautiful landscapes. There are many forts and temples with historical significance in this city. The historical significance of the city dates back to the time when epic Mahabharata happened, with the city being the centre of various empires over the centuries. The famous places to visit in Pathankot are, Shiva temple kathgarh, Kali Mata Ka Mandir, Mukteswar temple, Shahpurkandi fort and Ranjit Sagar dam.
Pathankot is known for its vibrant markets which sells beautiful handicrafts, pashmina shawls and woollen clothing. The Kangra Valley railway one of the toy trains of India starts from Pathankot and travels through various bridges in scenic landscapes and reach Joginder Nagar. Pathankot is a hub for reaching the nearby fascinating hill stations, thus it’s a great city to take a day break and then travel forward to the surrounding Himalayan mountains. Thus Pathankot is one of the best places to visit near Amritsar
- Distance from Amritsar: 115 km
- Best time to visit: Winter season (October to March) is the best time as the city is pleasant and chilly.
- How to reach: Amritsar is the nearby well connected international airport, and there are bus, train and taxi service from Amritsar to Pathankot.
- Famous for: Shopping and strategic location.
Places to visit near Amritsar within 200km
It is an important city of Punjab, with beautiful rural landscapes blended with urban establishments. Ludhiana is known as ‘Manchester of India’ with many industries manufacturing various products. Ludhiana is one of the best places to visit from Amritsar within 200 Kms, with settlements along the banks of River Sutlej boasting various historical sites and attractions. The famous Nehru Rose Garden in Ludhiana is spread over 30 acres and has more than 1600 varieties of rose, mesmerizing the visitors with its beauty and scent.
Ludhiana is a mix of everything like Gurudwara Sri Dukhniwaran Sahib (Sikh holy shrine), Lodhi Fort (Historic Mughal architecture) and Tiger Zoo Safari(with options to explore the jungle and take a wildlife safari). Ludhiana also has a rural life museum at the Punjab agricultural university which displays the rural culture of Punjab. After visiting these sights, shop till you drop in the various markets in Ludhiana and enjoy your getaway from Amritsar.
- Distance from Amritsar: 140 km
- Best time to visit: Winter season (October to March)
- How to reach: Ludhiana has a domestic airport which has flights to the capital Delhi. But for direct flights, Amritsar is the international airport connecting extensive cities all over the world. There are buses, taxis and trains to reach Ludhiana from Amritsar airport.
- Famous for: Punjabi food, Nehru Rose Garden, Various Industries.
Adding to the list of places to visit near Amritsar. Dalhousie is a little town in the Himalayan hills of Himachal Pradesh. This small piece of heaven on earth has picturesque landscapes and sceneries to refresh your soul. The hill station, with pine clad mountains and dense forests, was discovered by the British as an escape from the scorching sun in summers. As a result, the city has beautiful Victorian style buildings adding charm to the great summer retreat. The mountains are full of greenery and flowers during summers while the winters cover it with snow.
Dalhousie is a stunning hill station with various viewpoints, historic sights, trekking trails and a sanctuary. While in Dalhousie, visit:
- Moti tibba (a hilltop) nature walks a peaceful experience in the woods.
- Dainkund Peak, the highest peak in Dalhousie with enchanting 360° view of the valleys.
- Panchpula is on the way to Satdhara falls, and has scenic hiking trails and viewpoints making it a holiday spot.
- Kalatop Wildlife reserve which is a sanctuary at 8000 ft offering the breathtaking experience of walking amidst the dense pine, orchid and deodar trees in a mud road.
Make sure you take time and enjoy the place through trekking, camping, horse riding, paragliding and rock climbing activities.
- Distance from Amritsar: 198 Km
- Best time to visit: Summertime is the peak season in the mountain as it has a pleasant and calming climate(March-May). Winter time is also beautiful, with many snowfalls and picturesque views(December – February).
- How to reach: Pathankot connects Dalhousie to the world, through frequent bus and taxi services. There’s no airport or railway station in Dalhousie.
- Famous for: Landscapes, Snowfall, Peaceful setting
Further Read: Beat The Heat: Top 10 Hill Stations in India
Places to visit near Amritsar within 300km
Dharamshala is one of the famous place to visit near Amritsar within 250 Kms. It is located in the Kangra Valley of Himachal Pradesh with the Dhauladhar range surrounding it. Dharamshala has scenic views of this Himalayan range and pleasant weather during summers making it a go-to destination. It is a significant Buddhist city with many monasteries and ancient temples. Dharamshala boasts of its famous Cricket stadium, which has the best views from the valley. Tibet’s culture and tradition have found its way to this small city of Himachal Pradesh, and thus, Dharamshala is a mix of India and Tibet.
Dharamshala has decked up this scenic beauty and cultural delights. Bhagsunag Waterfalls is an ethereal beauty in the forests which can only be reached by foot. This famous waterfall is just one kilometre away from McleodGanj temple, and the trail is impressive with lush greenery and artful open cafes all the way.
The other famous religious places are Gyuto Monastery, Bhagsunath Temple, Jawalamukhi Devi Temple, Aghanjar Mahadev Temple and Chamunda Devi Temple. Tibet Museum and Norbulingka Institute offer a glimpse into the life of Tibet people and the culture of Dharamshala. Kangra Valley is a quaint holiday spot near Dharamshala which is worth a visit for the scenic drive and landscapes.
- Distance from Amritsar: 208 Km
- Best time to visit: Dharamshala is full of lush greenery and blooming flowers in the summer months of March to July. The late winter month February is also an excellent time to visit as Tibetan New year is celebrated in this month.
- How to reach: Dharamshala has an airport which connects to major cities of India. The roads here are well connected, and major railhead nearby is Pathankot.
- Famous for: Religious places, Culture, Natural beauty.
It is the upper part of Dharamshala, which is the holy abode of Dalai Lama, the Tibetan Spiritual leader. Mcleodganj, a favourite tourist place near Amritsar, is a melting pot of cultures and is a perfect blend of Nature and Spirituality. The significant number of Tibet population provides a beautiful air of Tibet culture in the town. The Dalai Lama Temple (The Tsung La Khang) is a holy Buddhist temple in a beautiful natural setting.
The complex has a long meditation trail, small shrines, Namgyal monastery all of which adorned with stupas, Buddha statues, colourful prayer flags and fairy lights. Also, visit the Tibet Museum very close to the temple displaying Tibet’s culture and heritage.
Mcleodganj is famous among solo travellers or budget travellers who enjoy meeting new people and experiencing new cultures at vibrant cafes. The hill station is also famous for Trekking, try out the trek to Triund, trek to Minkiani Pass and explore this glorious part of Himalayas through many trails around Mcleodganj.
- Distance from Amritsar: 209 Km
- Best time to visit: Summer months are pleasant(March to June) and are perfect for summer vacations. For a snowy winter experience visit during the winter months of December and January which sees many snowfalls in the city.
- How to reach: The Gaggal airport in this place connects to major cities of India. The roads here are well connected, and major railhead nearby is Pathankot.
- Famous for: Tibet culture, Peace, Food and natural beauty.
Khajjiar is known as the ‘Mini Switzerland of India’ with beautiful landscapes, trekking trails and skiing adventures. This hidden gem boasts of forests, lakes and grasslands which is a rare combination. This famous hill station in Dhauladhar range gives a serene holiday experience surrounded by snow-capped mountains and dense forests. Khajjiar has historic temples with terrific architecture such as Chamunda Devi Temple, Laxmi Narayan Temple and Khajji Naga Shrine.
Khajjiar lake is a beautiful lake with breathtaking sceneries and is surrounded by grasslands and trees. The lake hosts many adventurous activities like Paragliding, hot air balloon rides and horse rides. Chamera Dam is another major attraction with vibrant water sport activities. The food scene in Khajjiar ranges from famous Punjabi food to authentic Tibetan specialities. Before you leave, visit the markets of Khajjiar stocked with interesting handicrafts, exquisite silver jewellery and beautiful woollen shawls and pick a souvenir to take back home. Thus taking a trip to Khajjiar makes to our list of top places to visit near Amritsar
- Distance from Amritsar: 211 Km
- Best time to visit: Summer months of May to October has pleasant weather and ideal for outdoor activities.
- How to reach: Khajjiar is connected by road to all major cities through buses and taxis. The nearest railhead is Pathankot.
- Famous for: Scenic beauty, Adventure sports activities
One of the best tourist places near Amritsar, is a modern city that has blended urbanization and nature in an awe-inspiring way. Chandigarh, the capital city of Haryana and Punjab, is a city designed by the modernist architect Le Corbusier and referred as ‘City Beautiful’. Chandigarh is recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site for modern architecture of 17 buildings designed by the famed Le Corbusier.
This first planned city of India has many beautiful gardens, making it green and breezy. Zakir Hussain Rosegarden is a famous garden with a large area filled with lawns and rose beds. Rock Garden is the most famous place in Chandigarh which has statues and other structures carved out of recycled waste, forming a surreal landscape designed based on the fantasy of a lost kingdom. The next attraction, Sukhna Lake, is a humanmade picturesque lake in the foothills of Shivalik range providing a connection to nature for the city people. This lake has boating and yachting activities, and famous events occurring at its banks.
- Distance from Amritsar: 225 Km
- Best time to visit: Chandigarh has a pleasant climate after the monsoon, that is from September to November, and it gets chiller in November to March. These winter months are the best time to explore the city as summers can get very hot.
- How to reach: Chandigarh is accessible through air, rail and road easily. Chandigarh airport connects to all major cities of India, and the trailhead is also a well-connected route. Chandigarh government buses connect to all major cities nearby, and there are private taxis and buses as an addition.
- Famous for: Architecture, Greenery, Food.
Jammu dubbed as ‘City of Temples’, is an epitome of natural beauty. It is the capital city of Jammu and Kashmir, which is known for its ancient temples and snow-covered landscapes. The city is an untouched beauty which is surrounded by Himalayas and has picturesque meadows, gardens, valleys, streams, rivers and lakes. The ancient temples in this region are a symbol of Architectural brilliance.
The famous religious places are Panchvaktra Temple, Ranbireshwar Temple, Peer Kho Cave Temple and Raghunath Temple, which attracts many pilgrims. Jammu acts as a gateway for the holy cave temple Vaishno Devi, which is at the height of 5200 ft and is believed to be one of the holiest places for Hindus. Bagh e bahu, a terrace garden near Bahu fort, is a lush green garden with a variety of plants and flowers and a special arrangement of lots of fountains (some of which are musical). Thus Jammu is one of the best places to visit near Amritsar
For an experience of different ecosystems, visit Sanasar lake, Nandini wildlife sanctuary, Rajinder Park and Mansar Lake. Jammu has an extravagant shopping scene with fresh spices( like saffron, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves), Pashmina Shawls and various handicrafts of the region. Jammu has the traditional Dogra cuisine dishes in its markets, and the mouth-watering specials are Rajma chawal, Kashmiri Pulao, Dum Aloo, Katha Meat, and Patisa.
- Distance from Amritsar: 217 Km
- Best time to visit: All the months from October to May are best to visit Jammu. Check for weather conditions before you reach Jammu during winters.
- How to reach: Jammu has a domestic airport and a well-connected railway station. The roads are scenic and connect to all major cities nearby, there are Government run tourist buses and private buses for all price range.
- Famous for: Cultural sites, Food, Landscapes.
Chamba is a beautiful hill station situated at the confluence of River Ravi and River Sal. It is a gem of Himachal Pradesh, is a untouched landscape and has preserved nature at its best. The hill station has serene lakes, lush meadows and snow capped mountains forming an ethereal blend of nature. Chamunda Devi temple is a hilltop Hindu religious place that is famous among pilgrims in Chamba. This place has blended architecture with a central mandap, mural designed pillars and roof with flora and fauna designs. The Chamera Dam and Kalatop wildlife sanctuary are nearby and offer a serene natural experience.
Chamba Central Park is a famous attraction here, where one can witness the stunning views of entire Chamba. Chamba Central Park offers a picturesque sunset and recreational activities for children making it an ideal picnic spot. Rangmahal, Bhuri Singh Museum, Laxmi Narayan Temple, Hari Rai Temple and Akhand Chandi Palace are among the top destinations in scenic Chamba. The popular outdoor activities are trekking – Mountain-Climbing and horse riding. Chamba hosts many festivals and exhibitions in its meadows which exhibits the culture and tradition of the region.
- Distance from Amritsar: 234 Km
- Best time to visit: Summer season ( April to June) has a calm climate ideal for sightseeing and outdoor activities.
- How to reach: Accessible from Gaggal airport and Pathankot railway station, there are well-paved roads from there to Chamba.
- Famous for: Scenic landscapes, Festivals
These were some of our best picks in this edition of Places to visit near Amritsar . We hope you got some insights about these places near Amritsar to target for your next weekend.