Whether the idea of your ideal romantic trip is tasting new foods, or visiting historic museums or relaxing on the coast with a view of the sea in the backdrop of mountains and vineyards, Italy has it all. The romantic canals of Venice, the Tuscan wine lands, the historic cobblestone streets of Rome, the Arno river gushing through Florence, and the glorious cliffs of Positano.
All of these are the highlights of the very romantic and beautiful country. Over 46 million tourists visit Italy each year. From the great food and beautiful countryside to fabulous wine and the long history makes it a country to fall in love with. It never leave no visitor underwhelmed, in fact be sure of wanting to come back to this stunning country as with so many places to visit, a lifetime would be less. But don’t be afraid yet, Italy is a place best seen slowly, taking in one thing at a time while enjoying every lick of that gelato or every sip of your latte.
Here is the list of the best 5 romantic places to visit in Italy to fall in love with your soul mate again.
The most romantic places in Italy
Venice, the floating city, is, hands-down, the most romantic city in the Europe. The most distiller thing abut the city is that it has no roads. The only means of transport in Venice is boats. And thus the Gondola boat rides through the waterways connecting the city are the most dreamed-about experiences for travellers. These breathtaking Gondola rides serenading through the picturesque canals surrounded historic buildings and beautiful Venice hotels towering up from the water feel just like a fairytale.
Venice, has one of the busiest airports in Italy, with tourists from all over the world, this place might feel a little overwhelming. But you can get away from the crowds in small picturesque squares, romantic restaurants, and cafes and spend some quality time with your loved one. Venice has some of the best shopping areas in Europe, so make sure you keep a little budget to satisfy the hidden shopaholic in you.
Things to do in Venice
- Take the beautiful Gondola boat rides while sipping bellinis.
- Taking a stroll across the numerous bridges hand in hand with your partner.
- A trip to the colorful Burano.
- Visit the Prosecco Vineyards, which are just a short drive from Venice airport.
- Shop till you drop on the shopping streets.
- Discover the Doge’s 9th century residence, a colossal Gothic palace that was the center of the Venetian government for practically seven centuries.
- For art fanatics, the Gallerie dell’Accademia is sure to satisfy as it houses some fabulous Venetian art.
- Enjoy the awe inspiring Gothic Italian-brick church, the I Frari and make sure to see the stunning ‘Madonna with Child’ by Bellini.
There is no way one cannot not fall in love with Rome or maybe in love in Rome. A blend of art, history, religion and beauty in forms of ancient architecture forms the sternal Roman culture that makes it a perfect romantic destination. From tossing a coin into the Trevi fountain to watching the sunset while sitting in the arms of your soul mate at the top of the Palatine hill, overlooking the beautiful city, every bit of Rome is romantic.
If you’re looking for a romantic place in Italy to propose to you partner, there is no better option than Rome. You can go spontaneous and propose while walking on the busy pathways after buying a bouquet of flowers from a street vendor at the corner of the road. Or you can propose in the old school style, at a dinner date in a swanky restaurant; La Pergola being the number one recommendation.
Things to do in Rome
- Visit the Vatican Museums to witness the world’s greatest art collection.
- The massive gladiatorial arena, the Colosseum, which was established in 80 AD, is one of the most thrilling sites in Rome and will definitely leave you mesmerized.
- Do not miss out on visiting the Pantheon, a 200-year-old temple and one of the best-preserved ancient Roman monuments.
- The Capitoline Museum is the oldest public museum in the world and has a permanent collection of the famous Lupa capitolina.
- Take a stroll, hand in hand with your loved one, at the Appian Way, surrounded by historical monuments and cobblestone paved road.
- Explore the ancient Rome while visiting the Roman Forum, a grand district which has numerous temples, basilicas, and other public areas of the old Rome.
The birthplace of the Renaissance, the city of Florence, has a little more than just a touch of magic. The capital of Tuscan is known for the world’s most influential art movements. Florence’s art and beauty attracts a lot of couples and is the most romantic place in Italy after Venice.
The enchanting Renaissance atmosphere still lures couples. The most visited place in Florence is the Ponte Vecchio, the city’s most famous bridge where lovebirds bring a padlock with them and loch it and throw the key into the water, symbolizing there love is forever. This is also one of the most Romantic places in Italy to propose to your partner.
Things to do in Florence
- Tie a padlock; buy an ice cream and stroll hand in hand taking in Ponte Vecchio, one of the world’s most beautiful bridges.
- Go for a dinner date to the Three-Michelin star Enoteca Pinchiorri
- Take a day trip to Chianti, only about an hour and half drive from Florence, and try different wines from the vineyards.
- Head instead to Michelangelo’s Piazza as the sun sets to enjoy a wonderfully romantic view over the city.
- See magnificent liturgical treasures like Ghiberti’s Porta del Paradiso or Michelangelo’s La Pieta at the Grand Museo del Duomo.
- If you’re an architecture buff, visit the magnificent Renaissance Palace of Palazzo Pitti and witness the beautiful construction.
- A beautiful facade of white pink and green marble, one cannot miss out on the Duomo. Stand wondering in front of the frescos and the stained glass windows, overlooking the glorious city.
The 50 km long Amalfi Coast is full of attractive old-fashioned houses, winding staircases and narrow alleys. It is the place for a quiet romantic beach getaway. It’s famous for limoncello liqueur and quintessential Italian lemon groves. What adds to the beauty of the place, during February and October, is that there are fruit-laden lemon trees that grow along the entire coast. The pastel colored villages and sandy beaches add a little bit of the extra aesthetic to make it the perfect place in Italy to propose to your beloved.
Dining in Restaurants lit up with fairy lights, with stunning ambience and glorious views, eating Michelin starred food and being serenaded by an opera singer or accordion player are the highlights of a perfect romantic evening in the Amalfi coast. If you are a water baby you can try the water rides offered at its beaches. The Amalfi coast if one of the favorite romantic places in Italy. With the beautiful background setting of mountains and vineyards, the Amalfi Coast is an extraordinary chance to hold the one you cherish as you go for a ride in the water.
Things to do in Amalfi Coast
- Take a cooling dip in the blue Mediterranean waters.
- Visit Positano, the picturesque town built vertically on the face of a cliff, and enjoy the breathtaking views of the sea.
- Take a drive down the coastal road between the port city of Salerno and cliff top Sorrento, in a convertible and let the wind brush past your face while you enjoy the stunning views of the quaint villas, luscious vineyards, and the dense lemon groves.
- Walk hand in hand with your partner at Sentiero degli Innamorati – the lover’s walk. It starts from the beautiful Spiaggia Grande beach to the coves at Fornillo.
Remember the balcony where Shakespeare’s star-crossed lovers used to meet? Verona is the place where Juliet called out to her Romeo. Lovers from all over the world come to Verona to see this spot and click photos at the Balcony. If you’re looking for Romantic places in Italy to propose to your better half, what better place than the classic Balcony where the eternal lovestory of Romeo and Juliet belonged. Some might also argue that it is one of the most romantic places in Italy, or for that matter in the world.
Verona is also a perfect place for nature lovers. A trip to the Giardino Giusti, a magnificent garden filled with fabulously maintained plants and some amazing sculptures, will definitely bring you peace. Spend quality time with your spouse and steal some pecks here and there.
Things to do in Verona
- Visit the Galleria d’Arte Moderna Achille Forti. This gallery showcases the beautiful artworks from 1840 to 1940
- Spend some time with mother nature at the Giardino Giusti
- See an opera in the 2000-year-old, open-air Roman arena and get mesmerised with the soothing music.
- Take an evening stroll along the Adige River, or relax with a beer in the hand and your loved one in your arms at an outdoor cafe on Piazza delle Erbe.
- Visit Basilica di Sant’Anastasia, the Gothic cathedral that is also the largest church in Verona. It has its own stunning collection of art.
- Climb to the top of the 84-meter watchtower of the Torre dei Lamberti and enjoy the glorious view of the city in the backdrop of mountains.
With all these romantic places in Italy, be sure to fall in love with your partner all over again and cherish the memories from this trip for your lifetime. With the quaint little villas in the backdrop of sometimes, mighty mountains and sometimes, historic monuments, you will enjoy every second of your trip to Italy. Do not wait any further. Pack your bags, book your tickets and head out to explore the amazing Italy with your most beloved by your side.
Further Read: Find out more about the Hidden gems of Italy