The state of Karnataka is absolutely rich in natural beauty. A great number of tourists flock here to enjoy the sun rays gleaming through thick lines of coconut trees and the peaceful backwaters. While many of the famous places are a favourite among visitors, there are also some unexplored places in Karnataka waiting to be discovered.
There is a lot to see and discover at these hidden gems in Karnataka. These untouched beautiful lands are filled with nature’s bounty and make for a magical vacation. There are a plethora offbeat places to visit in Karnataka and each one is filled with the wonderment of beaches, backwaters, greenery and unique way of life. Here are some secret places in Karnataka that are surely worth a visit.
Unexplored places in Karnataka
1. Forest Shrines, Gerusoppa
This Jain temple complex with its intricately done pillars look magically situated among the vast greenery. The Gerusoppa shrines are among the most exquisite offbeat places in Karnataka. The walk through thick forests to unravel this hidden haven is nothing short of an adventure. This complex was built by Queen Chennabhairadevi and once it had over 100 shrines.
- Location: Gerusoppa is located some 30 km from Jog falls
- How to Reach Forest Shrines: Cross the Gerusoppa dam and go along with the river, you can also take a boat all the way to the temple complex.
2. Bandaje Arbi Falls, Manipal
These gushing milky white waterfalls surrounded by serene natural beauty makes for a marvellous sight. It is one of those offbeat places in Karnataka that are surely worth a visit. The place gets a lot of rain and the hilly terrains carve out a perfect pavement for the rainwater to flow downhill. Hiking to this place is a great way to enjoy the refreshing scenery of the area.
- Location: Charmadi ghat section of the Western Ghats in the Belthangady taluk of Dakshina Kannada district
- How to Reach Arbi Falls: Trek from Valambra near Somanthadka village to the Charmadi Ghat.
3. Floating Chapel, Shettihalli
The gothic style structure of the Floating Chapel looks absolutely mysterious and enchanting is one of the unexplored places in Karnataka. Even though the roof of Rosary Church has collapsed, it looks hauntingly beautiful with the remnants of its architectural beauty. It was built by the French missionaries in the 19th century. One can take a great view of this place on a boat and float through the chapel that is partially immersed in water.
- Location: On the side of Hemavathi River in the town of Shettihalli in southern Karnataka
- How to Reach: Take a diversion near Hassan on the Bangalore-Mangalore highway and ask for Gorur Dam. The chapel can be easily seen from the bridge connecting Shettihalli to Gorur Dam.
4. Hoysaleswara Temple, Hassan District
The Hoysaleswara temple which is also known as the Halebidu temple is a wonder that blows you away with its beautiful architecture. A beautiful representation of the Hoysala architecture, this place is one of the best offbeat places in Karnataka which is worth exploring. This 12th-century Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva still speaks silent tales of its glorious past.
- Location: Halebidu, a town in the state of Karnataka
- How to Reach: Halebidu is connected by road and rail to Hassan. You can reach via 4 hours drive accessible with a four-lane NH75 highway through Hassan. It is also very close to Belur. As well.
If you are looking for great weekend getaways from Bangalore then you need to plan a trip to Agumbe. This gorgeous place is often referred to as the ‘Cherrapunji of South India’. It has the perfect soothing surroundings to relax and rejuvenate. Thanks to being one of the unexplored places in Karnataka, Agumbe is surrounded by untampered greenery, waterfalls, and splendid views. If you enjoy being in nature, you will fall in love with this place.
- Location: In the Shimoga district of central Karnataka
- How to Reach: Agumbe is near the Someshwara Wildlife Sanctuary and is accessible by road around 24 Kms from Shringeri.
6. Karighatta Black Hill
Another among offbeat hill stations in Karnataka is this marvellous beauty known as Karighatta Black Hill. This place is all about tranquil lakes and hilly topography. Those who love nature can enjoy the amazing flora and fauna of this green paradise. It is also the perfect place for bird watching enthusiasts and trekkers. Karighatta temple is a popular attraction of this place.
- Location: Situated a few kilometres outside the island town of Srirangapatna
- How to Reach: Reach Malavalli by road and then take Malavalli – Mysore road. At Bannur, take the deviation to go on Srirangapatna road and reach Karighatta.
Recommended: 19 Amazing Places to visit in August in India
7. Honnemaradu, Shimoga District
If you are an adventure enthusiast and wish to travel to unexplored places in Karnataka then Honnemaradu is the place for you. This small cosy village is one of the hidden places in Karnataka that is worth a visit. It is nestled in natural beauty and is also a perfect place for adventure enthusiasts. Those who are not too keen on adventure sports can enjoy the tranquillity of this place.
- Location: Situated on the backwaters of River Sharavathi
- How to Reach: Drive a few Kms from Sagar on the way to Jog falls
8. Malpe beach, Udupi
When it comes to beaches, Karnataka is blessed with some beautiful sandy stretches. Some of the popular beach destinations in Karnataka are Gokarna and Mangalore. But if you are looking for offbeat places in Karnataka, especially beaches, then head to Malpe beach in Udupi. Situated close to Manipal, Malpe Beach offers one of the best offbeat beach experiences in Karnataka. Moreover, the nearby area is home to some more unexplored places like the St. Mary’s Island.
- Location: Malpe, Udupi
- How to Reach Malpe beach: Malpe Beach is located 6 km from Udupi
These unexplored places in Karnataka are waiting to be explored and if you wish to take a trip to such wonderful destinations then check out the Karnataka holiday places.